• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Corrupted EFS folder

Bazooka Tooth

Sep 19, 2012
Hi there, I'm having a little trouble with my Galaxy S2, I'm a newbie to rooting and installing custom ROM's on my phone but have a rooted phone and wanted to try some different ROM's out, I knew it would be a good idea to make a backup of my EFS folder on my PC so that it wouldn't become corrupted with excess flashing, I used a program called EFS pro to do this and managed to save my EFS on PC fine, however now my phone has a number of problems, the home button no longer works, certain apps won't even open and my phone doesn't seem to be recognising my SIM. I tried to format the EFS folder and reinstall the one I had saved on my PC but it made no difference, does anyone know any ways to get around this problem, will I have to format my whole phone or is there a simple solution? Thanks for any help in advance

I think the rom I used was SGS2_XX_OXA_LPH-v5.2-CWM5

That's not a ROM, it looks like a kernel.

I've looked into it a bit further and this thread seems to pretty accurately describe the symptoms of my phone, unfortunately I don't have the technical know-how to properly follow the instructions :eek:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1611796

THose instructions are for a completely different model of phone, the Skyrocket and T989, and are not compatible with the GT-i9100.

1. Restore your nandroid backup, assuming you have one.

or

2. Reflash your ROM again.

Not a good idea to tinker with the efs file as a rule. ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry I think I posted an old kernel I used, I believe I'm using a Chainfire ROM, unfortunately I haven't got a Nandroid backup, I've heard of it but unsure how to make one, I tried reflashing the ROM again but it made no difference, I'm guessing my only option now is to save all my apps to titanium backup and format my phone

Upvote 0
Sorry I think I posted an old kernel I used, I believe I'm using a Chainfire ROM,

Chainfire does rooted kernels... not ROM's. I think you are getting confused. A kernel and a ROM are two different things. See post #11, here.

unfortunately I haven't got a Nandroid backup, I've heard of it but unsure how to make one,

See post #2 of the, "Rooting Galaxy S2 - A Dummies Guide", for details of nandroid, titanium and efs backups and how to make them.

I tried reflashing the ROM again but it made no difference, I'm guessing my only option now is to save all my apps to titanium backup and format my phone

In light of the above, I wonder if you are flashing a ROM or a kernel? :thinking:

Do you know exactly which model of phone you have, (GT-i9100, GT-i9100G, GT-i9100M, GT-i9100P, GT-i9100T or some other variant)?

Do you know exactly which CSC code, stock, firmware you had out-of-the-box?

Hopefully you will have made a note of it prior to rooting.

Reactions: Bazooka Tooth
Upvote 0
I may well have just flashed a kernel, is it possible to root a phone with a kernel alone though? My phone is definitely rooted, thanks for the link I'll bookmark the Nandroid page, Ive already backed up all my apps to my SD card on titanium backup but thanks anyway.

I have a GT i9100P and originally the CSC code was LPR, when I first tried rooting the phone I soft bricked it and has to flash new firmware, I've now got LPH and then I rooted it again and it worked, the problems started when I started messing with the EFS folder

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones