Cost comparisonGeneral

1. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member

I'm new member who is learning about the Android OS....

I'm currently a Sprint customer (contract fulfilled years ago) looking for a new phone. I've been unimpressed with most of Sprint's offerings. Am excited that Android-based phones may be available soon ... but what will they cost? Frankly, I think it's going to be tough to beat a $99 iPhone!

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Some would say you get what you pay for ... :rolleyes:
  3. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member

You said "you get what you pay for" but I don't know what you mean by that.
  4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Pay $99 for a phone as compared to paying $200 or $400 ... you can usually expect to get a better product....

In this case i would say the capabilities of the Android phone over the iPhone is worth what you pay for it ...
  5. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

The cost of the device is the last thing I'd be worried about. That's almost irrelevant if you think about how much you'll be spending on your plan. What's another hundred bucks when you're probably spending that or more every 2 months for the next 2 years. It's certainly more than worth it id you're getting a better device.
  6. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member

I agree, the monthly service charges we pay are the true cost of a phone ... and they're way too high but I'll save that for another discussion! As I stated in my original post, I'm new to Android and trying to learn more about what it offers.

I'm not a fan of any particular phone or cell service. My comment that the iPhone 3G would be tough to beat at $99 was based on looking at a lot of handsets currently available. I'm not suggesting that it's the best phone available, nor that it has all the top features ... just that compared to many other smartphones it's a better value at $99.

This is a site for Android fans and I'm hoping those fans will help me learn specifically why an Android-based phone may be a better value that other smart-OS phones.
  7. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

Android has basic function, and open anything unless it is limited by the kernel or the kernel your cell provider chose to use. So you can choose whatever you want to use and put on it.
  8. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

that's the big thing about android - openness and choice

with the iphone, you can only get apps via their store - with android, that's not a limitation

there is a market, but that's a (very convenient) place to get apps, but you can download apps from any website that hosts them

and, with android, you don't have to be limited to a single carrier or cell ph mfr

so really you're just comparing hardware - cuz, even if you like the sense ui (for example) its only a matter of time before someone "hacks" it so that you can run that UI on *any* android phone
  9. pg2k3

pg2k3 Member

So you're saying that the Iphone dosent have a built in installer/package manager like every other smart phone os? That sucks. Cant wait for the Samsung Android phone!
  10. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

teh only place you're "supposed" to get apps for the iphone (ie - "legally") is from the apple app store

if you "jailbreak" your iphone, you can get apps anywhere they're available - most popular is cydia

cheers!
  11. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

The actual handset price shouldnt really be an issue.

If you were to compare the high end unlimited plans of Sprint v/s AT&T, you'd see that in the long run a cheaper initial price will cost you much more over the long term agreement.

$99 with Sprint gets you a SEP(Simply Everything Plan). Unlimited talk, text and data.

$99 with AT&T gets you Unlimited talk. You are *REQUIRED* to have a $30 data plan with the iPhone. Want unlimited text? 20 bucks more and currently you cant use MMS. So to have the same plan you get with a SEP, it costs you $50 more each month before taxes. Might not seem like much per month, but over a 2 year contract thats $1200. Not enough to build a Dunkin Donuts in space, but you get the idea :)

Of course a $99 iPhone is either an 8 gig 3G, or a 16 gig 3G refurb, NOT a 3GS or any flavor.
  12. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

this is the best answer to this question. I have unlimited internet, 400 text messages and a voice plan that I have never exceded for $65.00 a month. If your happy with the sprint service/price I think that they are getting the hero, I would wait for that.