Costs money to use 3G Hotspot?

Last Updated:

1. Henweigh

Henweigh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was just looking at my Verizon Plan, and though I don't have it currently as an option that I'm paying for, it costs $20 a month to use the 3G Hotspot feature?
    I thought this was just something the phone did through your unlimited data plan.

Can someone please tell me if the 3G Mobile Hotspot app does indeed require this $20 a month charge, and whether there's any other app or way to get the same functionality without paying.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

Yes, it costs $20 using Verizon's app.

You can root the phone and run Wireless Tether or Barnacle to do the same for free. I wouldn't do anything unreasonable like stream movies daily lest they get suspicious.

3. omgu8myrice

omgu8myrice Well-Known Member

As much as I love Verizon's coverage, they are really a bullshit company when it comes to stripping out features and then charging for them. Same BS you run into with their navigation costing $10/month, their visual voicemail costing $3/month. Sometimes I wonder why I stick with them, and then I see myself getting 3g in my area when most people lose basic coverage in random spots.

4. sgodd23

sgodd23 Active Member

I also believe you can get PDA Net from the app market, which allows you to use your phone's 3G connection through USB or Bluetooth without rooting your phone. Don't quote me though...

5. 3cutiger

3cutiger Well-Known Member

6. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

yeah im assuming (although you know what happens you assume) that at some point after froyo someone will hack together something to use the vzw hotspot for free. I know on the droidx they did like a day before I sold it, and it worked great.

90 % of the time wireless tether is fine, except when you want to use another android phone as a pda when its not connected to a line.

7. padrone00

padrone00 Well-Known Member

PDA Net is free without having to be rooted. Works pretty slick.