Could modding mess up call quality?

Last Updated:

1. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Lately, my callers have been saying that I sound like I'm speaking through a sock. I checked the microphone to see if there was anything blocking it and there wasn't.

The only change in my phone has been:

Updating to froyo ota.
    rooting
    Trying different roms and themes
    Bricking twice, but using sbf to recover to 2.3.13
    I now have the 2.3.15 deodexed Black Glass X, r2d2 boot anmimation and notifications.

This is serious to me because I conduct business on my phone. If it's a hardware problem, I can revert back to the 2.3.15 OTA from the BGX site, format data, system, and cache and vzw will be none the wiser.

So, what I need to know is if modding will can compromise call quality. If it can, then it seems as my modding career is effectively over.

Finally, how do I troubleshoot this issue. Should I just send it back to VZW unrooted and wiped? I'd rather not. Thank you.

Steven

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I think the OTA introduced a new baseband, so that could be affecting it.

Also, have you tried changing your vocoder? If you dial:

##PROGRAM, enter pw: 000000, and select option 4, you should be able to change your audio codec to EVRC-B, which is a superior codec.

3. Steven58

Bro,

I programmed the EVRC-B codec and called the Mrs. She said that the call quality had improved dramatically. I thank you, therefore.

So, let me ask this follow up.

1) Because the superior codec improved call quality, can we assume it was the new baseband (which I don't have any idea what that means) that caused the issue?

2) Can I continue to root with reasonable call quality if I continue to select EVRC-B?

EXTRA CREDIT:
    2) Why would VZW screw up their call quality with this "superior codec?"?

TIA, bro.

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The baseband is just firmware that tells the cellular radio what to do. New updates are supposed to improve its performance and power consumption. That's not always the case.

As for EVRC-B, I think it takes a little more bandwidth than regular EVRC, which is my guess as to why VZW has it disabled by default. Anyways, that's a setting that is ROM independent. As long as the baseband does not change, it preserves that setting, so you don't need to worry about continually changing it.

Steven58 likes this.
  5. Steven58

TYVM!!

[​IMG]

6. Steven58

My sister just called and told me my call quality was better, but not as good as it used to be, so my question remains, can modding mess up call quality? Is it even possible or is it more like the from the 2.2 ota radio update? Thoughts?

7. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Bump.

I sure hope not Steven. I just started today but have not had any phone calls. Will try to make a few tomorrow to check it out.

8. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i am sure it is the baseband or some network issues.

9. zane!

zane! Well-Known Member

Not to ask a stupid question......

But did you try *228 option 2 after updating your OS or installing a ROM?

10. Steven58

I did both option 1 and 2 per the VZW csr's direction. She said that phones needed to be updated after every time you have a Operating System upgrade. I did it, but my sister said it still sounded tinny.