• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

could not be downloaded due to an error (403)

Been having problems with this error message coming up every time I tried to use the Google Play store. Search high and low and everywhere in between to find an answer and so far, all I can determine is:

It's a Play Store problem. I don't even know where to submit a problem issue with Google.

--Wag--

This works for Android 2.x and 3.x versions but has similar steps for Android 4.0.

Go to "Settings"
Tap

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I had this on my wifi too once, nothing would download. I could browse the web, the play store, and look all I like, but all downloads would instantly say 'unsuccessful' as soon as they started. I later found out it wasn't my router or internet, it was part of how Android 4.x is partitioned on my devices. In my case under 'storage' my internal memory for apps and such had well over 750MB free. However, the second part where it shows 'downloads' was full, with little more than 4KB available. I deleted stuff that I had saved in my download folder (apps that I could reinstall without redownoading them) and it was able to download and install fine!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I just bought a Nexus 7 as a gift for my dad for Christmas and I too was getting these 403 errors for all updates and downloads (free or paid).

I called Google Play Application support and they told me to reboot, clear the cache, and also told me that the app server was down and to wait 24-48 hours...

...after I read this thread, I thought it made sense that the router had some strange security settings...

The fix for me was to reset the router to factory defaults and re-setup the proxy/cookie selections as mentioned above and it worked like a charm (also a cisco/linksys router).

Just thought I would add that this also worked for me...thank you SO much for the help guys.

Upvote 0
Okay here's a fix that worked for me (currently doing the update)
1) Keep your Wi-Fi on in your Phone
2) From (Pc/Mac) desktop browser go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...loftA7HM&hl=en (The main Asphalt 7 Google Play page, and make sure you Login on PC with the ID you purchased it with)
3) Click Installed/Update (Yes Installed, not Install as the game is already there and needs to be updated right?!)
4) Select the Device
5) Click Install and you will see the additional files being downloaded automatically on your Phone!

All the best!

RammyFzl Out!

Upvote 0
I also have the same problem could not be downloaded due to an error (403) ,when i connect to the data,no problem in wifi.I tried all the solutions at most. But of no use. please check the APN with you service provider. I had access point setting as wap setting. Then i downloaded the GPRS setting from the serive provider(AIRCEL),as the wap will have limited access,so that all sites cannot be accessed. if you get the error" could not be downloaded due to an error (403) " check with the service provider which setting will support all items to download.
After installing GPRS setting. My issue got resolved.

This solution may be helpful for some people, for some people it may not, Just i wanted to share to help others

Hello,
I know that there are 1000 threads or more about this issue but I couldn't find any solution for this problem.
I have the problem that apps are not getting downloaded through WIFI with google play store with the code 403. Iam using google play store version 3.10.9
My friend has also the same problem and we are connected to the same WLAN router, which means to me that this is not a problem with the mobile phone. It can be only the router or Google Play itself... port forwarding is active, I can't find any proxy filter settings in my router. The internet connection is not compareable with the one in Europe or America but the speed is ok (256/126kbps) for Africa. I downloaded also the software from Androidpit and this works with downloading / updating APP's, but most of my APP's are linked to Google Play Store where I have the problem with the downloading. No other problems with WiFi that I have noticed.
The phone indicates updates are available.
Downloading through the website works fine.

I tried already:

delete cache memory from Google play Store, delete google account > restart new login > same fault

delete search history in Google play > same fault

switch WIFI off, change to data connection > not possible due to high costs in Sierra Leone, so I can't try this...

delete cache memory from Google play Store, delete google account, opened 2nd google account > restart new login with 2nd google account > same fault

delete cache memory from Google play Store, delete google account, uninstalled updates from google play store > same fault

factory reset > same fault

I don't know what to do anymore...

Upvote 0
1. go to menu “system Settings”
2. go to “ Wireless & Network”
3. then klik/tab “More”
4. go to “Mobile Networks”
5. go to “ Access Point Names”
6. choose the Access point you are using due to your provider
7. find “Proxy” in your access point the clear it
8. back to main menu the restart you gadget

Upvote 0
errors like this are why i totally deleted Play Store and its associated apps from my phone. i was just sick and tired of Google never fixing the thing. i'll stick with Amazon, Samsung, and 1Mobile since they not only *WORK* but they also save the APK file if i chose to delete the app later and didn't want to wait for it to download again (or worse, give me one of these errors). Play Store is overrated. Google goes all nuts about alternatives from Samsung and Amazon, completely forgetting that their own store just refuses to work 90% of the time.

In addition to the various 'could not be downloaded due to an error [insert number here]' i also got 'package file is invalid' (only on large apps over ~20MB) and Play would occasionally make me 're-buy' apps i had previously purchased. this latter case would happen if i cleared data from the Play Store app itself. they'd show up under 'my apps' but would not have a 'install' option, instead it would show a price again, making me buy it again. Google, either get your act straight or i'll stop using your services. also Google, your voice control sucks. Google Now can't even do half of what S-Voice can, including toggling device functions by voice, which is neat, and it cannot even unlock the screen. Obviously Samsung is way ahead of you.

The last straw for me and Play Store was this: "app is not compatible with your device". seriously? i can't install Real Racing 2 or NBA Jam on your most powerful Nexus tablet? the Nexus 10? i am sure it would run fine. but wait, you don't even include a 'do it anyway' option do you? The 'old' Play Store, or better yet, the Android Market (seriously why does Google ruin all the AOSP offerings like that? first it was Market, then Music, then Photos, etc) never had that annoying and 90% of the time wrong compatibility filter. i am not sure why they even keep it since it never has worked right and has incorrectly flagged devices tons of times, which i would expect would hinder development..

Upvote 0
errors like this are why i totally deleted Play Store and its associated apps from my phone. i was just sick and tired of Google never fixing the thing. i'll stick with Amazon, Samsung, and 1Mobile since they not only *WORK* but they also save the APK file if i chose to delete the app later and didn't want to wait for it to download again (or worse, give me one of these errors). Play Store is overrated. Google goes all nuts about alternatives from Samsung and Amazon, completely forgetting that their own store just refuses to work 90% of the time.

In addition to the various 'could not be downloaded due to an error [insert number here]' i also got 'package file is invalid' (only on large apps over ~20MB) and Play would occasionally make me 're-buy' apps i had previously purchased. this latter case would happen if i cleared data from the Play Store app itself. they'd show up under 'my apps' but would not have a 'install' option, instead it would show a price again, making me buy it again. Google, either get your act straight or i'll stop using your services. also Google, your voice control sucks. Google Now can't even do half of what S-Voice can, including toggling device functions by voice, which is neat, and it cannot even unlock the screen. Obviously Samsung is way ahead of you.

The last straw for me and Play Store was this: "app is not compatible with your device". seriously? i can't install Real Racing 2 or NBA Jam on your most powerful Nexus tablet? the Nexus 10? i am sure it would run fine. but wait, you don't even include a 'do it anyway' option do you? The 'old' Play Store, or better yet, the Android Market (seriously why does Google ruin all the AOSP offerings like that? first it was Market, then Music, then Photos, etc) never had that annoying and 90% of the time wrong compatibility filter. i am not sure why they even keep it since it never has worked right and has incorrectly flagged devices tons of times, which i would expect would hinder development..
That's terrible you have this issue..I've been signed into Google.play store .((market or whatever name it is this year)) since 2008 using my Gmail address..I've spent $ on lots of apps back in the days when all of this was new...I still have all them old apps via my Google address.. I have every app.Ive purchased over the years even tho I don't use em.they are there...And I've changed my Phone many times over the years too.. Did u sign on to the Google market using a Gmail account ? I was just wondering...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones