Could rooting fix this?

Last Updated:

1. RyanB

RyanB Guest This Topic's Starter

I bought (and rec'd on Monday) the Seidio super-honking-big extended battery. All day yesterday and today (until I could get home and swap it out), I was getting false indications of low battery that would get "fixed" upon reboot, yet 2-3 hours later it would again indicate that it's low. Here's a thread on it in the regular Droid forum:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...accurately-read-long-life-seidio-battery.html

I'm holding out very faint hope that a ROM junkie might now of a work around. I'm currently intending on putting a rooted 2.1 on my phone, but I'll gladly deviate to something else if it'll fix this problem.

Advertisement
  2. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

I think the cyanogen rom has its own battery meter or you could try one of the several battery wigits in the market place..

3. RyanB

Do you mean like a widget, or that it can properly read the remaining voltage?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

"Battery Left" battery widget has a learning mode (take a few days to increase accuracy) that actually keeps an eye on your battery, usage, and habits. I don't take the percentages and hours left as gospel but it does give a good general idea of how your battery is doing and time left. It is also quite configurable on the type of reading and display. My guess is it will acclimate itself to your extended battery.

5. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

The underlying problem may still be there.. since the SYSTEM thinks the battery is low..

6. RyanB

Agreed droidpcguru

@ Shrink: I weighed that option, and it only solves the accuracy issue (to a point). It still leaves the phone impacted by a reading of near-zero. This can change the behavior of apps that read battery levels to determine behavior (SetCPU, Juice Defender, Weather Bug, etc). It also means that my LED would be wholly given over to a steady red light, and I have doubts that anything else would show through. I didn't have the patience to leave it there long enough to find out though.

7. RyanB

FWIW, I've posted this question on Cyanogen's boards, and I'll update here when I hear something.

8. RyanB

Here's the link I was referred to:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?/topic/1694-things-to-fix-with-droid/

Given that there wasn't any shouting from the rooftops about a particular ROM fixing it, I guess I'm returning the battery. It's a shame.

9. silkchaos

silkchaos Well-Known Member

have you tried charging the battery fully, and running it down fully so the phone can "learn" its capabilities?

10. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

^^^ This, it appears that the issue with the extended batteries is with the phone and not the software... most have done the cycling thing and have reported that it fixes the issue. The phone just needs to learn that the battery is not the normal stock one and has different parramaters...

11. RyanB

I'll give it ashot when I'm back home on Monday (assuming I have time), but I'm not holding my breath.