1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Could we talk about the EVO 4G and GPS?

Last Updated:

1. mattdamonisdumb

mattdamonisdumb New Member This Topic's Starter

My first smartphone was the first genreation iPhone which I still use to this day. With the release of the EVO 4G and the coming rlease of the 4th gerneration iPhone, I am excited by the choices I have.

Let me explain: I love how the GPS works on my friends 3GS iPhone. I love the way you can find yourself on the map and the little dot moves along the street with you.

Quetions:

1.) Does the EVO 4G have a function like that?

2.) The only Youtube videos I can find regarding the EVO 4G's GPS function are all related to driving. Can anyone link me to a video of a person using GPS while walking around?

3.) I would like your opinions regarding the EVO 4G's GPS functionality.

In closing: I will be honest here, if the GPS experience on the EVO 4G is not as sexy as on the iPhone, I probably will end up purchasing the iPhone. I will admit though, the EVO 4G sure is a powerhouse of a smart-phone. :)

Thank you for your time!

Advertisement
  2. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

The Google Maps feature is very similar to that of the iPhone's maps feature (as the maps on the iphone are Google Maps).

Google Maps for Android for Android has more features (including turn-by-turn navigation) and I find it a lot less fiddly to use than the iPhone version.

mattdamonisdumb likes this.
  3. mattdamonisdumb

Thanks for your insights. Any chance of a demo video?

4. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

They both have their pro's and cons.

Both know which way you are facing.
    Android has street view
    It also have free navigation (although the voice prompts are really poor in quality.)

If you're looking for sexy, waut for the iPhone. If you want features and ability, get the Android.
    You sound like an iPhone guy to me.

mattdamonisdumb likes this.
  5. mattdamonisdumb

Truth is, I barely use any of the iPhones features other than occasionally surfing the web. I mostly look at my photos and listen to music, but the GPS is very important to me because I would use it to get around the city.

Thanks for your insight, trick202. I think I agree with you that I'm more of an iPhone guy, after all, I doubt I would use even 5% of the features on the EVO 4G.

6. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

Well, the camera is great on the EVO, and the screen would brilliant for looking through your piccies.
    A feature of Android that I particularly like is that it automatically uploads my pictures to photobucket as soon as they're taken.
    Music is not Android's strong point at the moment. That may change as the new doubletwist app develops, and they release a widget - but for now that's one of the things I miss about my iPhone :(

Don't dismiss the features you haven't used yet. Just because there are things you don't do on your iPhone, doesn't mean you won't find new things on the Android system. Video calling? HDMI - output?

I've no doubt the new iPhone will be brilliant - you have an exciting choice ahead of you.