couple battery questions

Last Updated:

1. trach

trach Member This Topic's Starter

if i turn off wifi and 3g, but don't turn off auto syncing, will auto syncing still drain the battery by simply making attempts to sync data?

also i know that using gps drains the battery, but is it ok to leave the "use wireless networks" option checked or is that a battery drain as well?

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

It really depends on a lot of things, but most important is the strength of the signal for each. Any of the radios will drain the battery quickly if you are constantly searching for a signal. If you are in an area that has a low WiFi signal and it keeps disconnecting it will be best to turn it off. However, if you are in an area that maintains a good WiFi signal, you can actually save your battery by keeping it on. Even though the WiFi radio uses more juice when it is operating, it will be on for a shorter amount of time since it moves data much faster than 3G.

As long as you have access to data, auto-sync will not drain your battery much faster, unless you are constantly getting gmail or calendar updates. All Google services are pushed to your phone, so there are no polling settings. The only thing you could adjust is the frequency of POP email polling.

3. Raftysworld

Raftysworld Well-Known Member

generally its best to just leave your phone plugged in rather than do this and that and this other thing to savebattery.

4. trach

trach Member This Topic's Starter

why in the world would i want to keep my phone plugged in all the time? being tethered to an outlet kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile device..

5. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

Data and Bluetooth are on 24/7 on my TP2 and Evo. What makes the real difference for me with both devices is the quality of signal. Even with the 3500ma battery in the Evo, a bag signal = lousy battery life.

6. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

To actually answer the op's question, not in my experience. Yields huge battery savings if you want roll that way.

7. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I think the ideo is plug it in when you can. That's what I do with any device I use a lot. If I am going on more than a 10 minute drive it gets plugged in. If I am sitting at the computer, it gets plugged in. Pretty much the only time I don't plug it in is if it is far more convenient to not have it plugged in. An example of this might be while I am watching TV. I don't have any plugs near me where it would not inconvenience me to get up and answer a call/text, so it either stays in my pocket or on the table.

To sum up your questions, any feature that is running is going to hurt your battery. The finding networks feature will hurt your battery if your phone is not asleep and you are not currently connected to a wireless network because it will be actively searching for one.

8. garrettwconover

garrettwconover New Member

He all Just purchased Fascinate and I like it. Had to get the extended battery as my usage killed it rather quickly. And when I left it in my car in NY, the cold (25') almost killed a fully charged "slim" battery. I tried looking for a phone cover, like I had with the slim battery, (Really Nice one) BUT I can not find Phone covers that take into consideration the Larger Battery.

Any Help in locating One would be appreciated.

Garrett