Couple of battery questionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I leave my battery charging overnight will it hurt my battery because the battery is only charging for 2 of the 12 hours? Will it decrease the life of my battery if I charge it when before it is dead, say at like 50%?

Advertisement
  2. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I would say no. Battery tech and the OEM wall charger knows when to trickle charge it which is what is will do after it charges fully. Now if your using a cheap knock off charger it might be different.

Ty07allstar likes this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the wall charger that comes with the phone, it's just a 5V power supply to bring power into the phone via the USB connector. The charging circuit is part of the phone and is smart enough not to overcharge the battery. Any USB source will work the same way; when the battery icon shows that the charge is complete, it won't get charged any further than is needed to keep it topped off.

The battery is Lithium-Ion and isn't anywhere near as prone to developing a memory as NiCd and NiMH were.

--Mark

Ty07allstar likes this.
  4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

It'll be fine, charging overnight.

And Li-Ion batteries actually PREFER partial charges. In other words, charges that go from 50%-80% rather than 5% to 100%. You will increase your battery's life span with partial charges, according to battery university.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Ty07allstar and jdailey1981 like this.
  5. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks