• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Couple of Media questions?

I am fixing to load some music on my Hero and was wondering what folder do I put them in!
Also why do my ringtones that I made show up as music in my media player?

Thanks for the help

Roman

Music works for me... Interesting though is you cannot browse BY folder to access music from the media player, but I still keep all my music organized into respective Artist/Album Folders.

:)

Upvote 0
So are you saying I just make my own folder to put the music into?
Also the ringtones that I made are simply just MP3 files!

Hmmmm, yeah, I made

/MUSIC - as my main folder for all my mp3's
/MUSIC/Misc
/MUSIC/Led Zepplin

etc...

Ringtones, well that's another story... There's a folder /Media/Audio and there are folders in there for the system files for the Ringtones, Alarms and Notifications. Now, I tried to use MP3's straight up but that was no good for those items. Instead, I use RINGDROID which is a free app in the market which will handle all those needs. It will let you sample any MP3 file, take which ever part you like from it and assign it to what you want, check it out.

:cool:

Upvote 0
Hmmmm, yeah, I made

/MUSIC - as my main folder for all my mp3's
/MUSIC/Misc
/MUSIC/Led Zepplin

etc...

Ringtones, well that's another story... There's a folder /Media/Audio and there are folders in there for the system files for the Ringtones, Alarms and Notifications. Now, I tried to use MP3's straight up but that was no good for those items. Instead, I use RINGDROID which is a free app in the market which will handle all those needs. It will let you sample any MP3 file, take which ever part you like from it and assign it to what you want, check it out.

:cool:

Thanks I will check that out!
Now how about album art!

Upvote 0
Thanks I will check that out!
Now how about album art!

hahaha... well I would recommend having it on the file already, lol...
But there is hope.

I use a media player called MixZing which will play music on the phone itself, it will play like style music, playlists, let you add/remove from play lists, etc. What's nice is it will provide Album art for files with correctly coded info AND artist & track info too which is pretty cool. It does NOT however put the art into the file, sorry. Also, it does NOT access the lock screen like the standard music app from HTC so there's a little trade off. I like it though...

Upvote 0
I am not sure how the stock player handles album art but as a general rule all my MP3s are tagged with album art and have a cover.jpg in the artist/album folder. I copy the folder to the sd card and I have all my album covers displaying properly. cover.jpg or folder.jpg are standard conventions for album art under the open desktop spec so I assume most players will either read the cover from the MP3 (iPod style) if it's there or read a folder/cover.jpg from the directory. However I know that wasn't the case on my TouchPro so your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
I just download the mixzing software and it seems to be working good, I just got tired of hearing the ringtones! It also pulls album art as well, which I like.
The only problem is a majority of my music is from the napster days when we did not know it was important to tag our music properly.
If you happen to know of some software that would go through a tag my music, I would be greatly appreciative of that!

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am not sure how the stock player handles album art but as a general rule all my MP3s are tagged with album art and have a cover.jpg in the artist/album folder.

You are correct for music purchased through online providers. Music I OWN and convert to MP3 for play on media devices is different and requires user input or programs to add the art. I use WinAmp which is not a free program but does a great job. :)

hehe, just wanted to clear that up... I still have about 300 audio cd's to convert yet (about 250 done already) and haven't found the time, lol.

Upvote 0
I am not sure how the stock player handles album art but as a general rule all my MP3s are tagged with album art and have a cover.jpg in the artist/album folder. I copy the folder to the sd card and I have all my album covers displaying properly. cover.jpg or folder.jpg are standard conventions for album art under the open desktop spec so I assume most players will either read the cover from the MP3 (iPod style) if it's there or read a folder/cover.jpg from the directory. However I know that wasn't the case on my TouchPro so your mileage may vary.

What romeosidvicious said!

I think the stock media player works quite well. What mp3s I've added to my Hero were tagged using Media Monkey and everything shows up fine.
As an aside, I'm also quite impressed with the sound quality of this little guy. I'd put it in the same league as the iRiver and Creative Zen products, believe it or not!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones