Couple of problems?

Last Updated:

1. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath Member This Topic's Starter

Hiya
    Got my phone today and am a bit disappointed if i'm honest.
    First thing, there seems to be a huge lag in the email, is this normal? Am using gmail and i get the email through straight away on the PC but about 15-30 mins later on my phone. Am used to instant email on the blackberry.

Also, i wonder if i'm doing something wrong in contacts. Have set up all my numbers and set the names to be displayed but when they come through some show the email address instead of the name? Can i get round this?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. roundst

roundst Member

Hi,

For your emails - go into your emails, then goto the settings (menu, more, settings)
    select send and receive, set download frequency. it's probably set to 15 mins - change it to something more suitable for your needs.

with contacts (people), the hero displays the last piece of info you used/entered for that client. in the individual applications (eg phone) it selects the most appropriate piece of information for that application.

It's an intelligent phone (i don't like smart phone!) and will learn from how you use it!

HTH

c

3. yorkshirecath

Well when i enter the email address in for my friend i always just type 'Marie' but it ALWAYS just comes back with her email address. Must have send 50 emails since yesterday and it's still doing the same thing!
    The smallest amount of time it will leave refreshing is 5 minutes, can this phone not do instant email?

4. roundst

roundst Member

for POP and IMAP, no - it can't do instant email.
    For Exchange and gmail, it can - there'll be an option 'as items arrive'

c

5. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

For IMAP it CAN do push email if you server supports it. Not sure if it's in the default app, but K-9 Mail has an option to enable push email in IMAP servers. Works well.

6. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

The minimum update frequency for POP or IMAP with the HTC mail client is 5 mins. The gmail app is instant and much better for handling gmail. I use both gmail app for reading/composing and the HTC app so that I can sync mails with the HTC People app.

7. yorkshirecath

Thanks for all your help.
    The gmail mails are still taking about 10 mins to come through even though i have it set to 5 mins :(

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Don't you use the gmail app for your gmails? That is a push type email so the emails get pushed to your phone as soon as they are sent.

9. yorkshirecath

I have 2 gmail accounts though so it will only let me do that for one won't it?

10. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Yes the Gmail app will only work with the account setup in the phone settings.

Perhaps you should try K-9 mail, which apprently has push for IMAP.