Couple of Questions from an Android Noob

Last Updated:

1. egrus

egrus Member This Topic's Starter

So I am currently with AT&T and I use an OmniaHD unlocked from Europe.
    Thinking about getting the droid and switching to verizon.
    I have been a windows mobile user for years, and the OmniaHD was my first symbian phone ever. I Do not like symbian even though there are a lot of positives, but it's just not as modifyable as windows mobile is.
    I want something that I can take the most advantage of it's features.
    I think I am going to go with verizon either way, since AT&T's 3g coverage area is garbage, so my choice is between the droid and the omnia 2.

1) does the droid have TV-out via the 3.5mm jack?
    2) with the droid, can you really not do data and voice calls at the same time? are all verizon phones like this even with evdo rev. a?
    3) with android can you really not store applications on the SD card? why?
    Windows mobile and Symbian can.
    4) can you use the droid internationally? I am assuming no since there's no sim card.
    5) does the droid support hardware accelerated media playback? the omnia 2 has xvid\divx acceleration as well as h.264 with mp4 and .avi container. what about the droid? Any hope for .mkv or 720p video playback? What about audio formats...any hope for .ogg or .flac?
    6) are there a lot of games for android? what are the most popular ones? Thats one thing I hated about symbian was the lack of games...
    7) I see that since the droid is a "with google" phone the UI is bland and generc -- no home screen widgets, no weather, no cool 3d graphics like HTC sense or the Blur...is there any possibility that these things could be "hacked" in later? Or does the phone need to be rooted for that to happen?
    8) Is there integration with Google Voice in the UI?
    9) This kin of goes with 7, but are there any custom UIs for android devices that can be installed without rooting the phone? SPB mobile shell for windows mobile is an example of such a thing. Anything like this for android or no?

The OmniaHD has the same CPU as the droid (OMAP 3430) yet symbian fails to take advantage of all of the features of the chip. I hope android can do a better job with it!

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate any input or suggestions.
    Buying a new phone is so hard.

Advertisement