Couple of Questions (Important)! Help!

Last Updated:

1. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Everyone,
    Ok so ive been doing a ton of research on rooting my phone and overclocking etc. Ive been searching this forum and many others reading up and getting as much knowledge as i can on this so i dont have to bother anyone but i still feel like some stuff is either still confusing me or i cant find any info on it. So what i want to do is ask a few a questions and it would be the best and i would be very grateful if anyone can answer them for me or at least point me in the right direction and show me if i missed something or not. The help would be much appreciated and i would love to move along with this once i feel comfortable. So here some of my questions.

1st:
    These videos look super easy. Is this safe? has anyone else tried this? I always thought rooting was a much more intense process unless it has became more easy to do with the more developers.

http://androidforums.com/how-tips/43108-video-guide-rooting-your-droid-easy-peasy.html

2nd:
    I really honestly just want to root my droid to overclock it and make it faster. Can i just do the root process, install setcpu from the market, and run the overclock from there? I notice alot of people run at 800 to be safe, or 1ghz to be super fast. is there any inbetween like 900 to be conserative but also fast.

3rd: I dont really know what a rom is but i know that if you root it they have custom roms. im not looking for anything fancy cause i love the stock UI but if someone can tell me a good 2.1 simulator that would be a nice one to have and how could i install it.

4th:
    All said and done if i need to unroot it how safe/easy is it?

Thanks,
    All help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

I rooted this weekend. I said I wasn't going to do it but as soon as live wallpapers was working I took the plunge. Rooting is very simple. It took me all of 5-10 minutes using this link.

Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid

I tried what you mentioned about rooting and then running SetCPU. The ROM that you use to root is only the default 2.0.1 settings. So you can't go any higher than the stock 550mHz.

I used this link as a guide

[How To] Easily install Bugless Beast using only SPRecovery, Terminal Emulator, & zip - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

The trickiest part is the SDK but that is also on the rootyourdroid site.

I have the Bugless beast 0.7.9 installed and I am completely happy with it. Pete keeps putting out updates but it is getting too confusing to even try to keep up. Plus it seems that he keeps overwriting the same post which also doesn't help.

Unrooting is just as easy as rooting.

Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

Hope I helped.

3. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

I hit reply and remembered I made my own check list. :cool:

1. install root update.zip. (rootyourdroid)

2. sprecovery for nandroid (rootyourdroid)

3. run a nandroid backup (rootyourdroid)

4. install BB (alldroid)

5. tweak setcpu

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

One more thing - rooting alone will not give you OC abilities. The OC comes from using an alternate boot.img (I think also colloquially referred to as a kernel, but I am not sure if it is *just* a different kernel, or more than that) that allows for different clock settings.

That being said, I cannot remember anymore if you can just replace the kernel and leave everything else as it is after rooting - I think you can, but there is so much eye candy and functionality out there that you might consider a newer ROM for added functionality, aesthetics *and* OC capabilities, all rolled into one.

It is the very reason I took the plunge and went with the Bugless Beast series (I highly recommend 0.7.6, as the later ones seem a bit buggy - but I have not tried 1.1 at all.

5. dfine06

jeez, theres so much to this haha.
    So i cant just download setcpu and call it day.
    Bugless beast has a set cpu in it?
    Also is bugles a rom with 2.1 in it?

6. dfine06

that dude matth3w over at droid forums is legit haha.
    that step by step is great and makes me feel a lot more confident.
    so that solves all my questions about rooting and the overclocking most of which i wanted to do.
    So my next question is what exactly is Bugless Beast? (or if you can point me in the right direction to explain it) that would be great!
    Thanks!

7. dfine06

One more thing. Should i uninstall OpenHome?

8. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

9. G.Armour

10. G.Armour

Hope I helped.

11. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

it really is easy, its easier than rooting a G1, just update.zip and you are more or less done after following some steps.

pete has some links that make kernels for overclocking that are in update.zip format as well, so if thats all you want, it can be done QUICKLY.

12. dfine06

can anyone give me any info on this bugless beast system? or point me in the right direction...