Couple of QuestionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. robot phone

robot phone Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I wanted to know if it is possible to update stock aps if there are later versions on market. I want to update the built-in screen reader to the latest version, but I don't wanna get stuck. Do I have recourse if the latest version doesn't work well? How would I go back? Also, how does one leave comments on specific aps on market? I can't seem to find the place where you type it in. On a lighter note, Ideal Group came up with an accessible web brouser. I had been using one made by google, but it didn't work well. I love the new one. If you have visually impaired friends, encourage them to switch to androiid. It's great!

Advertisement
  2. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Once you have downloaded an app you have the ability to rate it and leave comments. Also you can pull up the app in the market and if you have done an update it will have an option to uninstall updates. A good idea is to always make a back up before running any updates. That way if you don't like it you can also go back.

robot phone likes this.
  3. robot phone

robot phone Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks very much. But, um, how does one back up stock aps ans others? With my back-up pro? Still a newby.

4. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Backing up stock apps is as easy as copy/pasting the .apk from /system/app/ to somewhere else. Any decent file browser can do this. Putting them back however requires you remount the /system folder as read/write before you can copy the .apk back. This requires root access and either an adb shell, a shell terminal, or a file browser capable of the remount operation.

The shell terminal method is explain in full detail here - http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/112896-guide-removing-stock-apps.html

Root Explorer and Astro are two file broswers that i know of that can remount the file system and are available on the market.

ADB shell is complicated and I haven't used it personally so im not going to get into that.