• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

couple of sprint htc hero questions

umers56

Sep 9, 2010
question 1: (indeed this is a repost from the htc hero section. mods can u delete/lock that one. i didnt know there was a seperate section for htc hero and sprint htc hero) so i started using the internet sharing capability and i was thinking if it charges u anything. my cellphone plan is this one:
Sprint Everything Data Family 1500

it includes data and all. i was researching a little and people were saying u need PAM or else it charges. but im not using it as a modem i think. im doing it with a usb btw if that matters

i think i am using wifi and not 3g cause i have wifi checked on my phone settings. anyways would it still cost money?

question 2: i am running the sprint htc hero firmware version- 2.1-update 1. software number 2.27652.6. i was thinking if i do root my phone can i tether it with my computer for free?

question 3: most simplest, easiest method to root sprint htc hero? i would aprrecita if someone can link me to a guide?

question 4: chances of it getting bricked?
question 5: how do u fix ur phone if it is bricked?
question 6: by rooting my phone does it do anything to my phone plan? could i possibly get charged for random things?

question 1: (indeed this is a repost from the htc hero section. mods can u delete/lock that one. i didnt know there was a seperate section for htc hero and sprint htc hero) so i started using the internet sharing capability and i was thinking if it charges u anything. my cellphone plan is this one:

it includes data and all. i was researching a little and people were saying u need PAM or else it charges. but im not using it as a modem i think. im doing it with a usb btw if that matters

i think i am using wifi and not 3g cause i have wifi checked on my phone settings. anyways would it still cost money?

question 2: i am running the sprint htc hero firmware version- 2.1-update 1. software number 2.27652.6. i was thinking if i do root my phone can i tether it with my computer for free?

question 3: most simplest, easiest method to root sprint htc hero? i would aprrecita if someone can link me to a guide?

question 6: by rooting my phone does it do anything to my phone plan? could i possibly get charged for random things?

1. No charges for using wifi
2. Not really, you are still using Sprint's data. If you root, you could use your phone as a wifi hotspot though without USB tether
3. Root [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers
4. Flash a GSM HTC Hero rom or GSM radio, you will brick your phone. Only flash CDMA Hero roms and radios
5. Your phone is a brick, lol
6. Phone plan no different than having stock.

Reactions: umers56
Upvote 0
1. No charges for using wifi
2. Not really, you are still using Sprint's data. If you root, you could use your phone as a wifi hotspot though without USB tether
3. Root [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers
4. Flash a GSM HTC Hero rom or GSM radio, you will brick your phone. Only flash CDMA Hero roms and radios
5. Your phone is a brick, lol
6. Phone plan no different than having stock.

can u elaborate on ur answer to question 1?

thats my main question.
how do i know it was running on wifi? if i have the wifi box checked? cause im mad nervous. i downloaded this game called maplestory that is 2gb and if sprint charges me like .03 per a kb then i might as well call my 15 year old life good bye

Upvote 0
can u elaborate on ur answer to question 1?

thats my main question.
how do i know it was running on wifi? if i have the wifi box checked? cause im mad nervous. i downloaded this game called maplestory that is 2gb and if sprint charges me like .03 per a kb then i might as well call my 15 year old life good bye

You have unlimited data, Period!! Until Sprint caps data usage, which I've heard never (I hope), no worries how much data you use

Reactions: umers56
Upvote 0
You have unlimited data, Period!! Until Sprint caps data usage, which I've heard never (I hope), no worries how much data you use

thanks alot bro. i was so nervous for the past 2 days. i was checking in and out of forums. Some people were telling me about PAM which has something to do with a modem and i was thinking if i was using my phone as a modem. but i dont understand what is a modem. could u explain that to me also lol

Upvote 0
No worries you have unlimited data, and if you want to know if you are using Wifi, it will use it if you have the username and password set up in it, if you don't want to use Wifi just turn it off, and no you are not using your phone as a modem unless you do tethering which would be using your phone and connecting it to your PC and having your PC use the internet through your phone.

thanks alot bro. i was so nervous for the past 2 days. i was checking in and out of forums. Some people were telling me about PAM which has something to do with a modem and i was thinking if i was using my phone as a modem. but i dont understand what is a modem. could u explain that to me also lol

Upvote 0

question 6: by rooting my phone does it do anything to my phone plan? could i possibly get charged for random things?[/QUOTE Actually you don't have to root your ph. to tether,there are 2 app's.available in the market(Easy Tether,PDAnet),both have free versions & the pay version permits secured websites.

Upvote 0

question 6: by rooting my phone does it do anything to my phone plan? could i possibly get charged for random things?[/QUOTE Actually you don't have to root your ph. to tether,there are 2 app's.available in the market(Easy Tether,PDAnet),both have free versions & the pay version permits secured websites.

How to root

Upvote 0
JB in AZ,I didn't catch what happened to edit it,sorry.
What i intended to say was it isn't necessary to root a Hero to tether,there are at least 2 apps.in the Market(PDAnet & Easy Tether) which enable tether,both have free & pd.versions.However neither are capable of making the Hero a hotspot for multi devices.It's just some alternative info.!

Upvote 0
if at the top notification bar .. has a wifi symbol, then you are connected to wifi.. and all data done is not counted towards your sprint account. They dont care what you do on wifi.

if you are on 3G / edge then you are getting data via the sprint network. and if you have unlimited data.. they will not care.

Root your phone... and use free wifi tether.. and sprint will not care what u are doing.. there might be a chance.. if you use over 5 GB every month for many many months. but i have seen many people do over 5gb - 10gb without any issues. there is a chance, so keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
i think the unlimited plan is actually capped to 5g. could be wrong, its just what ive heard. i think they just call it "unlimited" bc its gonna be pretty damn hard to reach that on a phone in one month. keep in mind that if you are constantly hitting 5g a month, it could definately throw up red flags to Sprint. I dont have a clue if this is monitored or what they would do if they suspected it, but my main point is the same with anything you want to do under the radar: dont make it obvious and youll likely stay out of mind. obviously, downloading a HD movie to your computer while using wifi tether is gonna be a bad idea, but the occasional useage, maybe at the airport or something for an hour here or there will never be noticed

Upvote 0
i think the unlimited plan is actually capped to 5g. could be wrong, its just what ive heard. i think they just call it "unlimited" bc its gonna be pretty damn hard to reach that on a phone in one month. keep in mind that if you are constantly hitting 5g a month, it could definately throw up red flags to Sprint. I dont have a clue if this is monitored or what they would do if they suspected it, but my main point is the same with anything you want to do under the radar: dont make it obvious and youll likely stay out of mind. obviously, downloading a HD movie to your computer while using wifi tether is gonna be a bad idea, but the occasional useage, maybe at the airport or something for an hour here or there will never be noticed

no.. the cap is for wireless data cards.. not the phones on these unlimited plans.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones