Couple questions about the Behold II

Last Updated:

1. mikenick42

mikenick42 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my Behold II the day it was released and have a couple questions about it for anyone that can help.
    Part of the reason I got it over the mt3g or the g1 was the presence of UMA. I'm not a huge fan of TouchWiz though, so if/when the Behold gets hacked and people start putting together cooked ROMs will UMA be gone?

The other question I have is related to the hardware and I can't tell if no one else has asked because it's a stupid question or because it's only my phone. When the phone gets tapped, especially on the back cover by the speaker, the whole phone kind of resonates almost like it has a tuning fork in it or the PCB isn't fastened in place properly.

Advertisement
  2. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Not sure what UMA is - is it a t-mobile US thing?

The 'twang' noise happens on my galaxy too. I think its the way the PCB is mounted inside the plastic case - its normal.

3. mikenick42

Thanks for the fast response kam187.
    UMA uses a wifi connection for calls and can seamlessly switch between wifi and gsm/3g without needing a second number for something like sipdroid or skype. It's not t-mobile specific, but it's not real widely deployed either.
    I think it was viewed by carriers as a stop-gap while 3g deployment increased; but it's nice if you spend time in places with bad reception.

4. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

ohhh that UMA! I didnt even know many places implemented it.

5. AVonGauss

AVonGauss New Member

Are you sure the Behold 2 has UMA now? AFAIK, no Android phone has support for UMA at this time.

6. mikenick42

Honestly, I haven't actually had the chance to test that out yet (should be able to on Friday), and the lack of advertising of it as a feature is somewhat disconcerting, but the internet consensus is that it does, and the guys at the t-mobile store told me it does. If it doesn't then there's not really anything preventing me from flashing a new ROM when they become available.

7. AZBear

AZBear Member

According to the T-Mobile website the Behold II does not have UMA. There are rumors thta T-Mobile is doing away with UMA but I have not found any confirmation.

8. mikenick42

Well, if it doesn't, then there's nothing stopping me from loading a new ROM when it gets hacked. The guys at the store said it has UMA, though they may have just been trying to make a sale.
    Are they really doing away with it, or just not pushing it? Several blackberrys in stores now advertise it as a feature.

9. rone

rone Well-Known Member

I have not seen UMA on my behold 2. I have it and use it on my blackberry.