Coverage problems in my area

Last Updated:

1. gh0atd

gh0atd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I seem to have a small issue. My problem is that when I am inside my house, I pray to get a signal. If I go 50 yards out, and go in a circle, I get full bars. Step a couple feet in, signal drops back down.

Now, I could buy an Airave, but I don't feel like paying some enormous fees and stuff to pay for a service that works everywhere around my house, but not 50 yards around it. :(

What could I say or suggest them to do to help me get a better signal? Up the power on their transmitter, etc. I do not want to pay for an Airave, this is not my problem that I am getting a bad signal, it is their's.
    They suggested me to Update my phone profile, but I can't do that on DamageControl 1.0 as far as I know, unless there is a phone code to. Regardless, I thought a PRL would be a better choice then a profile update, since the PRL is what tells it to actually look for towers.

Advertisement
  2. jeremylobaugh

jeremylobaugh Well-Known Member

The PRL, or preferred roaming list tells your phone which channels to search for service on. If it has always been this way, a PRL update will most likely not help, and you may have to flash back to 1.5 to do it. (I am not 100% on this, I am still running cupcake)

You can call customer service and calmly and politely explain you are having service problems in and around your home, who knows what will happen. I would suggest visiting a corporate store. They should open a ticket and a drive tester should ultimately be dispatched to check it out.

Sometimes these troubles can actually reveal a problem at a site, with an improvement in coverage resulting from the repair.

Just curious, whereabouts do you live? If it in my market, I may be able to expedite the process.

3. gh0atd

Not in Pennsylvania, sadly. I live around Raleigh, NC.

4. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Are you new to Sprint? If you're within your 30 days tell them you are disconnecting because of lack of service. They can give you some sort of booster for inside you house, they'll give it free to keep you as a customer.

5. gh0atd

No, we have been a customer for 10 years.

My uncle has that device. The booster you are talking about is the Airave I mentioned earlier. The price for it is ridiculous though.

6. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Not tryin to be a dick, but how is it that you just figured out your house has no coverage? My Hero gets a good signal, so I figured it has a strong antenna. They offered me airrave for free when I tried Sprint last year and dropped them. I had an LG Lotus and that thing sucked for reception.

7. gh0atd

Because my past phone, a Samsung Slider, had the same issue. That phone would only recieve one bar, at most. Also, we have four other phones in out house, they all have the same problem.

8. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Maybe since you've been such a loyal customer they'll get a new tower up near you, or you could demand a free airrave next time your contract is up. I know if it was me I would have switched carriers by now. I'll admit though, it's would be hard to leave Sprint's prices. Good luck.

9. gh0atd

There are not really any other better options around here. Everyones coverage is pretty bad. Except Verizon, I won't do that though. Not for a Cell phone at least.

10. forty9er

forty9er Active Member

I have the Airave device and didn't have to pay the $99 for the unit or the $4.99 monthly charge. I threatened to cancel my account and they offered it to me. I must say for the most part, I love the device. Just be aware, if your power is out or have no internet connection then you will be back to having no coverage inside your home.

I have a ranch style house with about 1,400 sqft. I have the Airave in the basement and I get almost full bars now. Before, I had zero.

11. gh0atd

Well, after a call and drive to the local Sprint Tech Store, they said that there was a Problem Ticket for my area, but there was no ETA for Completion.

I asked if there was any way to file a request to get a new tower in our area, or to increase the transmission power for the current tower. They said now. They offered the ability to construct our own personal Sprint Tower, I don't think the neighbors or the family would be too happy about that either. The booster device is looking to be the only possible thing, but I am not willing to pay 99 dollars, and then 4 dollars a month for it. It isn't worth it.

12. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it, but you should have demanded the airrave for free before you signed a new contract. You had the leverage then but you don't anymore. Like I said before, I tried Sprint out last year with an LG Lotus and my reception was horrible. I went in to cancel before my 30 days was up and they tried giving me the airrave for free if I would stay. I canceled anyways because the problem wasn't at my home, it was other places I go. Now I'm back with them and the Hero gets great reception and I'm happy as a clam!!

13. jeremylobaugh

jeremylobaugh Well-Known Member

IMO, the Airave units should be handed out whenever there is a verified coverage issue. The units are inexpensive, and the customer is covering the cost of the back-haul, which is a huge reoccurring cost for Sprint.

I have had an airave since we started beta-testing it. It was a bit rocky at first, but it was convenient that they let the switch techs beta them, we were able to iron out issues quickly. I love it, I have great coverage anywhere inside of a 4 story 1800sq ft home, the unit is on the 2nd floor.

I have my router, cable modem, airave, and 24-port switch on a UPS that's wired to an optima battery, it has never gone off the air due to a power outage, and Road Runner is pretty reliable here. There is a node about 75' down the line from my cable drop.