CPU running at 100% and data trafic problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. sbkjo

sbkjo New Member

Hi,

I have a Milestone 2, which worked quiet well until recently. This last days I got sometimes several times a day a message that the CPU is running close to 100%. I have to reboot it to get rid of the message (if I just delete the message it comes again a second later, which means the problem is still there).

On the other hand I have unusually high data volume.

Any idea how to see which app is causing the problem ?

Thanks !
    sbkjo

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Something like this? You could also try Watchdog Lite which will notify you when an app hits a certain threshold.

Which version of Android are you using?
  3. sbkjo

sbkjo New Member

Thanks I will try watchdog.

I am using Android 2.2
  4. El Presidente

Try turning on USB Debugging too.

There was an issue on the Desire HD with 2.2 with a certain process hogging 100% of the CPU, turning on USB Debugging sorted it.

Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging (check the box)

I'm led to believe it was specific to Android 2.2, not just Android 2.2 on the Desire HD.
  5. sbkjo

sbkjo New Member

I've just turned on the USB debugging, thanks for the tip. I've also installed watchdog.
    Any soft to watch the data transfer (possibly to limit it to avoid trouble) ? I've currently Traffic counter. It only gives the amount per day, but not per app.
  6. El Presidente

I use 3G Watchdog. You set your billing period, your allowance and you're good to go. It will alert when you reach a certain percentage of your allowance. It will also switch off Mobile Internet if you get too close, but I think you need a plug in for that. Instructions are given in the app.

If you want it to break down usage by app, you'll need to get the paid version. I can't think of any off the top of my head that will give usage by app that are free. I can have a dig around for you though.

Let me know if the USB Debugging thing sorts your CPU issues. If it doesn't we'll see what else we can try. :)
  7. sbkjo

sbkjo New Member

I've just bought 3G Watchdog Pro, not a huge cost compare to what it could save me...
    Thanks !
  8. El Presidente

No problem :)

That's the way I look at it too. I rarely get close to my allowance, but it's nice to know there's something that will stop me if I do.