Cracked AmoledSupport

Last Updated: 2012-02-20 23:56:27
  1. EvilElfy

EvilElfy Member

Hello, I own a Samsung Galaxy Precedent, given by a friend, his story is that he dropped it from a couch and now the screen is mostly all black when you turn it on (aside from the "inside" crack on the upper right corner). The screen is fine, nothing cracked physically, but underneath the screen is where the problem is. Perhaps it is the amoled that is cracked? I believe so.
    Anyways, does anybody know a fix for this? Anywhere I can take it? Anything I can replace the amoled or whatever they call it underneath the screen?
    Anything cheap I'm up for... and thanks in advanced! :)

P.S. There was no warranty put on this, makes things a little hard I know but looking for a fix for this seems impossible for me. I have searched all over the internet.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

The glass isn't the display, it's a piece of (really tough) glass that protects the display. What you have is a broken display. (It doesn't crack like glass just from dropping it.) You have to replace the display.
  3. akashik

akashik Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a lot lot of hardware tutorials regarding the Precedent. Given that it's $150 off contract I'd be very suprised if there was a fix that didn't cost less than just replacing the whole thing. At the end of the day it's a pretty disposable piece of hardware.
  4. EvilElfy

EvilElfy Member

I see, well thank you for the input. I figured as much this would happen so I'm not surprised but again, thank you.
  5. xPureEvilx

xPureEvilx Well-Known Member

EvilElfy likes this.
  6. EvilElfy

EvilElfy Member

Ah, Pure, well thank you very much. I back your research up by looking it up myself actually and found out that the Prevail and the Precedent are just about similar in every way. That is a huge save for $100 and well worth to try this. I appreciate your help :)
  7. xPureEvilx

Not a problem, you should try and video tape it when you change the display. It may be helpful to others wanting to do the same thing.
  8. EvilElfy

EvilElfy Member

I will do so once I figure it out myself and get a good idea.
  9. xPureEvilx

Be sure to let us know how it turns out
  10. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Well ... it's actually only a savings of $80 (Walmart.com: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent Android Prepaid Smartphone: Cell Phones) but it is a saving. (And if you make a video, it might help some people who have to get into the phone for other reasons.)