Cracked and so close to upgrade

Last Updated:

1. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So there I was getting stuff ready in my car (raining outside). I thought I put the Hero in my pocket. I got out of the car and smack. I thought "what was that!" I look down and see my Hero face down on the wet concrete. The HORROR! I go to his aid but it wasn't pretty. The screen is cracked.

The good news is that it works fine. Sprint says $100 to replace. So I don't know whether I should replace the screen on my own or stick it out until my one year is up and put a screen protector on that doesn't use any kind of liquid so I don't cut myself while using the phone (long sentence).

aaaaaaaawwwwwwww

Advertisement
  2. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

Short answer: wait.

3. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

take a peek on ebay for screens. i know they are there, or atleast used to be. no clue on price, but i bought a 17in laptop screen on ebay for under $50.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

When is your upgrade?

Call Sprint and see if they'll move it up for you.

5. treborcj

Hey Kelmar, I see you have both the Epic and Evo in the house. Which do you like better?

6. Kelmar

I've only had the Epic a day and a half. Right now though, definitely the Epic. Some of that may be because it's "still shiny" though. :cool:

7. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

just use clear packaging tape. that's the solution for so many iphone users.

8. treborcj

Yes, I thought about replacing the screen ($45) and about putting tape. I just noticed that there is a thin invisible horizontal line that it not responding to commands. Noticed when trying to send an SMS and the send button would not respond. I had to change orientation of the phone to press it. I love the Hero, I say it all the time. I just can not see myself spending money just to get it in working condition, when there are better phones out there. I rather put that money toward a new phone. One of my lines has an upgrade Oct. 1 so I guess I will wait or call them to see if I can upgrade early.

9. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

I wanna get a new Android Phone kinda like the Hero, I just don't wanna get the EVO or the Epic! Sprint needs to hurry to get some new android models!

10. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

This thread is kinda old and you probably already did something about it but I would spend the $100 for the replacement and you can probably sell it for $200 on ebay when you get your upgrade. ;)

11. treborcj

I have done nothing about it. It is still cracked. I still use it. I don't really want to part with it. I am really thinking about getting the screen replaced. Doing it myself not Sprint. I guess I am waiting for the next best phone to upgrade.

[​IMG]

12. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Nice!!!!

13. jen8112

Or a Sprint service center can replace the screen for like $50.

14. johnny124

johnny124 Well-Known Member

That's nothing, you should see my screen. I dropped mine as well as it's shattered but still works. I went on ebay and got a replacement screen for $39.00 free shipping. When it arrives I will replace screen with tutorial videos on line. Any ? PM me

15. jen8112

Hey I just noticed that your red phone button looks just like mine! ;) Do all the Heros do that? I tried using a silver sharpie on mine. lol

16. Kelmar

^ Had mine for a year and mine shows no signs of wear.

17. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

My red button showed like that in 2 months, had my Hero since last Oct

18. treborcj

That happened about 2-3 months ago. I thought about just scraping the rest and also scraping off the green phone button as well like another poster did.

19. DHAndroid

DHAndroid Well-Known Member

They will, usually within 2 weeks. Might take 1 or 2 reps. If the phone "doesnt" work and you are within a month, say you do not want another hero because of xyz problems and are ready to upgrade or goto another comp for some phone cheaper than the upgrade would be. Might take a retentions rep to override?

No guarantee this will work with the new Sprint.

20. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

The green and red buttons on my phone still look fine and I've had my phone since March!

21. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member

Bummer about your screen. Wait for a refurb deal on Sprint's website. I just got one for $79.99 and the phone is like new. No contract extension, no discounts applied.

About those buttons turning green and red, has anybody tried applying a coating over the buttons to avoid this problem? They look kind of shabby to me...

22. treborcj

Well I think its about time to get that Evo. Wife got hers a week ago and did some speed tests. It is so much faster network wise. The most impressive part was wifi. My speed test had me at 2.3MB down. Hers was at 10.5MB down. She is throwing it in my face that her phone is better than mine, I held that title for so long. I have been waiting for something better than the Evo, but I guess I have to get it.

23. jen8112

Do you have a link for this? It's cheaper than an insurance claim.

24. xevious

xevious Well-Known Member

^ It was from Sprint's own website. Last Saturday they were running the refurbished phone offer. By Monday the supply was exhausted. I have a feeling they will do this again as they get more refurbished phones in stock. So just check back on the website every day or so, or find a forum where they provide regular updates about it.

25. jen8112

Thanks! Just got a new reclaim for my son for $50 to replace the one he dropped in the toilet with no insurance. ;)