Cracked Droid Screen

Last Updated:

1. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the original Droid. I take very good care of it, but I needed to have the phone with me while I was at the gym last night and it fell out of my pocket and the screen cracked. It still works but the screen obviously needs to be replaced. I weep quietly every time I take the phone out of my pocket now to use it.

However, I have the Best Buy Geek Squad Blacktie Protection plan on the phone - the one for $10/mo. I am getting conflicting information as to whether they are going to take my phone and replace the glass or if they are just going to supply me with a new phone. I'll know more when I take it in for service.

My issue is this, I am rooted running a custom Froyo 2.2 ROM. Should I unroot and dial back to 2.1 before I return the phone or should I just bring it in? Has anyone had any experience with this one way or the other? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

rooting voids warranty - I doubt very much that it would void any type of insurance or service plan. But I do not know this a fact ... just my opinion.

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I would backup your current setup and unroot just to be safe. You will be able to restore the back on your replacement.

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

although we all know a cracked screen has nothing to do with being rooted, don't even open the door to them finding a reason to deny you

5. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Do you really think the "geek squad" will look at what operating system the phone is on when it has a cracked screen? It will be tossed in a pile.

6. mtbhk44

Yeah, these are the conversations I've been having with myself. HA!

I suppose I could just make the backup, unroot and wait for them to either fix the screen or send me a new phone. Easy enough and at least I know they won't use that reason to deny my claim. I don't think the Geek Squad will have the faintest idea what's going on inside the phone, but it's probably not worth the risk.

I'm told it's at least two weeks. In the meantime I have to, gasp, reactivate my BB Curve (throws up all over keyboard).

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I made that transition at one point from droid to BB Curve and its rough. I feel for you.

8. themans23

themans23 Well-Known Member

I had to deal with the geek squad and their bullshit black tie program. It took me a month to get my phone back from them and unlike you i didn't have a backup phone so i had to go out and buy a POS from craigslist. When I signed up for it I was told by the saleswoman that it was just like using verizons insurance company, bring my phone in with any problems and i will get a replacement right then, she even told me it wouldn't be a refurbished one either, but a new in box one. HAHA ya right! when i brought that up when i went in there they just told me "well did you read the contract you signed? it says our policy right there" they wont give you a new phone unless they cannot fix your phone within 30 days and even then you have to fight them for a new one. I will never again use they phone insurance, if the same thing happened with verizons insurance company i would have a phone within 2 days, ya i would have to pay a deductable but i would rather pay $80-150 whatever it is than wait 30 days for my phone and them not even giving me a loaner phone..... End rant and i wish you luck

9. mtbhk44

I'm nauseous just thinking about using the Curve again. I pretty much hated that phone from the first day I activated it until I bailed for the Droid.

I know this is going to be a pain in the ass with the GS. I had their warranty program on an old iPod and they had my device for about 40 days. It was lost in the warehouse, then it was lost in shipping, then they forgot to install the battery (that was the whole reason it went back in the first place - battery was dead) and it had to go back...it was a total mess. The girl who sold me the insurance told me the same thing you were told @themans23 - immediate replacement. Thing is, my phone still works so it makes sense that they will try and fix it - I just hate the fact that it's going to be at least a month before I see this bad boy again. By then we may be on Gingerbread! :D

10. themans23

Ya mine got a cracked screen too, thats why i took it in and because it was still working they said it could be "Fixed" I was so temped to walk into the parking lot, throw my phone as high up in the air as i could then run it over with my car and take it back in and tell them 'it doesn't work now!' but who knows what they would have done then... next time i need to take it in i will do that BEFORE they see the phone :)

11. mtbhk44

So whaddya think, should I toss it off a cliff and then bring them the pieces?

12. themans23

Lol according to their policy if they think they can fix it they will try and fix it. If it cant be fixed you will get a replacement phone. So if I break my phone again and need to take it to them again i am going to make sure it CANNOT be fixed.. hell if they do tell you they can fix it after you put it in a blender they cannot take longer than 30 days to do so, kuz after 30 days they are required to give you a replacement. If you already plan on being without your droid for that amount of time to get the screen fixed it is worth a shot to make sure they cant fix it.

13. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

My second droid was rooted and running CM 5.0.7.1 when I had to send it back under the black tie protection for service. I got it back unrooted and with the original 2.0, but they fixed it and I never got any crap about being rooted.

14. mtbhk44

Update: So here we are, almost 14 days later...I still do not have my phone back and Best Buy could give a sh*t that I'm pissed and was lied to about the fact that the the girl told me it was a replacement plan and not a service plan. I've spoke to just about anyone that would pick up the phone at Best Buy and they all just tell me "too bad". Before I brought it in I called and asked if I brought them the phone in 4 pieces would I get a replacement on the spot and they said no. They said they would still attempt to fix it.

Stay away from the Best Buy plan, regardless of the lack of deductible. It's not worth the hassle. I'm through with that company and I buy most of my stuff at the store near me. No more!

15. blong4life

blong4life Member

I just bought a new iPod and got the protection plan, I am wishing I didn't now.

16. mtbhk44

I had the protection plan for an old iPod too - you'd think I would have learned my lesson. They had my iPod for almost 2 months - at first they lost it when they sent it out, then they had it to work on for a month, then it was lost on the way back. I didn't care at the time b/c I had another one I was using, but looking back on that now, I'm not really sure, other than stupidity, why I went with them this time around. Probably it was the girl who told me it was a replacement plan and I took her word for it, rather than reading the fine print.

17. yufice

yufice Well-Known Member

Even though it has nothing to do with the cracked screen, rooting voids the warrenty. It takes two seconds to unroot and flash back to 2.1, so do yourself the favor and do it. If they look at it, you're good, and if they don't look at it, you "wasted" all of 3 minutes bringing it back to their slow speed. Better safe than sorry.