• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cracked Screen / Best Buy Insurance?

Veya

Lurker
Jan 1, 2011
I just bought the Streak on sale for $99 at Best Buy 3 days ago but didn't add the Best Buy mobile insurance for it... yet (they said I could add it anytime in the next 30 days, it's 9.99/mo and covers accidental damage) Well I stupidly dropped my phone last night (2 minutes before the new year -- :mad:) and the top left part of the screen cracked and damaged the whole corner and top of the screen. I can navigate through the 6 pages still but none of the apps or buttons work so it's unusable. :( My question is.. can I still call up Best Buy over the phone and tell them that I want to add their insurance plan now and then wait a few days and take it in and pretend as if I cracked it afterwards or will they want to see my phone or do it in person? Anyone gone through this before? Thanks in advance!:(:eek:

I just bought the Streak on sale for $99 at Best Buy 3 days ago but didn't add the Best Buy mobile insurance for it... yet (they said I could add it anytime in the next 30 days, it's 9.99/mo and covers accidental damage) Well I stupidly dropped my phone last night (2 minutes before the new year -- :mad:) and the top left part of the screen cracked and damaged the whole corner and top of the screen. I can navigate through the 6 pages still but none of the apps or buttons work so it's unusable. :( My question is.. can I still call up Best Buy over the phone and tell them that I want to add their insurance plan now and then wait a few days and take it in and pretend as if I cracked it afterwards or will they want to see my phone or do it in person? Anyone gone through this before? Thanks in advance!:(:eek:

Yes, they'll want to see the phone. You'll have to commit fraud on some other item you've bought.

Upvote 0
Just call and say you decided to get the insurance, just in case. Then ask if you have to drive over there or if you can do it online or over the phone. Then do whatever you need to do, based on their answer. Oh, and if you don't like their answer, try another store. I've had conflicting answers from BestBuy (among others) many time.

By the way, I have it, and there are lots of contigincies as far as what they will cover. I'm not a fan of verizon, but at least they swap out a phone fairly easily. Make sure you read their damage clauses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones