• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cracked Screen on Moment

simpat1zq

Nov 4, 2009
Hi, my wife just dropped her Moment, and it has 3 cracks across the screen. Other than that, it works perfectly. There's no damage to the LCD. So I think it's just the 'touch' part of it that is broken. I just want to confirm, would this be the part that I need to order:

US Sprint Samsung Moment M900 Touch Screen digitizer - eBay (item 220516238013 end time Feb-22-10 17:07:20 PST)

Also, are there any guides on how to take the moment apart. It doesn't seem that complicated, but looking at some instructions beforehand would make it easier.

Reactions: pastafarian
Hi, my wife just dropped her Moment, and it has 3 cracks across the screen. Other than that, it works perfectly. There's no damage to the LCD. So I think it's just the 'touch' part of it that is broken. I just want to confirm, would this be the part that I need to order:

US Sprint Samsung Moment M900 Touch Screen digitizer - eBay (item 220516238013 end time Feb-22-10 17:07:20 PST)

Also, are there any guides on how to take the moment apart. It doesn't seem that complicated, but looking at some instructions beforehand would make it easier.
I am sure the LCD is damaged if it's cracked.

Upvote 0
Well doesn't the phone have an LCD, and on top of that, there is a touch screen. I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible for the touch screen to crack without the LCD. Anyways, everything on the phone is readable. Most of the time, when an LCD cracks, it looks like the liquid has leaked out. And that's not the case here.

Is this phone and the InstinctQ almost the same thing? I found instructions for dismantling that. Would they apply to this phone?

Upvote 0
Well doesn't the phone have an LCD, and on top of that, there is a touch screen. I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible for the touch screen to crack without the LCD. Anyways, everything on the phone is readable. Most of the time, when an LCD cracks, it looks like the liquid has leaked out. And that's not the case here.

Is this phone and the InstinctQ almost the same thing? I found instructions for dismantling that. Would they apply to this phone?

Yup, the moment = InstinctQ if I remember correctly. Wanna share your link? I'd like to see if there are any instructions in tightening the slider... :)

http://phandroid.com/2009/08/19/samsung-instinctq-pictures-leak/

Upvote 0
Yes, it is an AMOLED screen, but they have similar symptoms when cracked. So I'm still pretty certain that it's not the display screen that is cracked. Here's the only pic I could find of a cracked AMOLED:
Nexus One mystery: How did our screen crack? | Crave - CNET

And it looks like the instructions I found were just the Instinct, not the InstinctQ. But there they are:
Rapid Repair - Samsung Instinct Take-Apart-Guide by RapidRepair

But I'm going to take mine apart, and I'll try to put pictures up here.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I don't have have insurance on the phones. In the long run, it's generally not worth it.
I have to disagree with you there...lol, I have destroyed several phones that would have cost me at least 400 to 700 dollars to replace if I hadn't had insurance....LMAO The math works like this...

7 years X 12 months X 5 years is 420 dollars. The 5 phones were replaces at 50 for two, before the deductable was raised and 100 for 3. That is a total of 400. So over 5 years I have spent 820 dollars total. The 5 phones would have been about 2100 dollars total to replace out of pocket.

Upvote 0
i wouldn't think it'd have any liquid, since LED is light emitting diode, not liquid crystal display.. but i havn't a damn clue what the AMO is short for lol so it could be "a mustardy overlay light emitting diode" for all i know which would mean it has mustard in there :D
AM = Active-matrix O = Organic L = Light E = emitting D = Diode AMOLED

No there is no liquid intermediate so you can crack these suckers and as long as the control leads arent severed the piece will work without a problem.. might just have broken some diodes along the crack... LCD still works when cracked BTW, but without the liquid crystal there is no contrast thus it is incredibly dull and hard to see...

Upvote 0
I have to disagree with you there...lol, I have destroyed several phones that would have cost me at least 400 to 700 dollars to replace if I hadn't had insurance....LMAO The math works like this...

7 years X 12 months X 5 years is 420 dollars. The 5 phones were replaces at 50 for two, before the deductable was raised and 100 for 3. That is a total of 400. So over 5 years I have spent 820 dollars total. The 5 phones would have been about 2100 dollars total to replace out of pocket.

Well if I broke 5 phones in the past 7 years, then I guess it would be worth it. But I've only had one broken phone in the past 7 years, and that's with a 3 phone family plan. So for me anyways, insurance would have put me in the hole more than a grand.

And I am positive that the AMOLED isn't cracked at all. I can, without a doubt feel the crack on the touch screen . And when I hold the phone at an angle, I can see that the crack is definitely above the display. And I called Sprint, and they don't do these repairs on these phones, so I'm pretty much stuck doing this on my own. So I'm going to go ahead and order that part.

Upvote 0
Well if I broke 5 phones in the past 7 years, then I guess it would be worth it. But I've only had one broken phone in the past 7 years, and that's with a 3 phone family plan. So for me anyways, insurance would have put me in the hole more than a grand.

And I am positive that the AMOLED isn't cracked at all. I can, without a doubt feel the crack on the touch screen . And when I hold the phone at an angle, I can see that the crack is definitely above the display. And I called Sprint, and they don't do these repairs on these phones, so I'm pretty much stuck doing this on my own. So I'm going to go ahead and order that part.

Be very cool if you could photo journal it for others who end up in the same situation. Best of luck to you!

Upvote 0
Yeah. That's what I plan on doing.

Somebody was selling a moment with just a motherboard missing. And it was $46, so I just figured I'll get that so that was I can have a spare LCD, and a phone that I can 'practice' taking apart for like $16 more. I should receive it some time next week, and I'll post the update here.

Upvote 0
Yeah. That's what I plan on doing.

Somebody was selling a moment with just a motherboard missing. And it was $46, so I just figured I'll get that so that was I can have a spare LCD, and a phone that I can 'practice' taking apart for like $16 more. I should receive it some time next week, and I'll post the update here.

NICE FIND! I'm looking forward to your results! Perhaps a video will serve better?

Upvote 0
Somebody was selling a moment with just a motherboard missing. And it was $46

Makes you wonder though doesn't it? I mean..what did they do with the Motherboard to be selling a phone without one? It reminds me of an ad I once saw for a plane that was being sold without the wings!

And...if they were replacing another motherboard then how in the world did they break that motherboard without breaking the screen?

I also wonder what in the world the Sprint Repair Center's actually repair? Everything I've taken in there they say they "don't do that". From what I've noticed at every Repair Center is that there are two guys in the back who can hardly figure out which batteries go where or how to work the data transfer machine.

Upvote 0

I dropped my Samsung Instinct S30, and it cracked in 3 places. I took it to a Sprint Service and Repair Center, and they fixed it for me. I couldn't have my phone for about 3 weeks, though. :mad:

Upvote 0
I've seen this phone's reviews on Cell Phones, Mobile Phones, and Wireless Calling Plans from Sprint, and everyone says that the battery life is horrible and that it doesn't last them half a day. I was just wondering how your guy's Moment's battery does. I was thinking about getting one. I currently have the Samsung Instinct S30, and I absolutely hate it. It's time for a phone I actually like. What do you guys think about the phone?

Upvote 0
Makes you wonder though doesn't it? I mean..what did they do with the Motherboard to be selling a phone without one? It reminds me of an ad I once saw for a plane that was being sold without the wings!

And...if they were replacing another motherboard then how in the world did they break that motherboard without breaking the screen?

I also wonder what in the world the Sprint Repair Center's actually repair? Everything I've taken in there they say they "don't do that". From what I've noticed at every Repair Center is that there are two guys in the back who can hardly figure out which batteries go where or how to work the data transfer machine.

haha! The Service and Repair Center's faculty is not all that sharp. :)

Upvote 0
Why is everyone constantly referring to the screen as LCD? It's not even close to this. AMOLED: Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode. NOT LCD: Liquid Crystal Display. LCD screens crack, they're more or less done for. Cracks on this screen (from what I know about it) don't affect it in that way. It's still usable enough to get you by until it gets fixed; the screen doesn't get any darker or harder to read, though there is a split in it. There may be a dead spot of pixels, but *should* still respond to touch input.

Remember, this screen IS different. *Not LCD, it's AMOLED*

Upvote 0
So I got the phone yesterday, and took it apart. It was missing the motherboard, battery, and the side buttons.

So I had it almost completely apart. The only things left to take out were the AMOLED screen, and the touch screen.

But when I got to the AMOLED, I couldn't get past it, so I decided to start putting it back together, and just put the motherboard from my phone into the ebay phone. That way, I wouldn't have to take my phone apart.

And after I did that, the phone powered right up. All the functions on the phone work perfectly. And now the touch-screen is no longer cracked.

I took some pretty detailed pics. I don't have them camera on me, so I don't have access to the pictures until Monday. So I'll put the pics up next week.

If anyone has any questions on how to open the thing up, let me know.

Upvote 0
Glad to see it worked out for you. I would just purchased the insurance and then cancelled it accreditation It was repaired. I've done this plenty on times and never gotten charged a deductable for taking in any phone no matter how destroyed it was. I can honestly say its been at least 8 complete phone replacements in the last 4 or 5 years. That's not including just part replacement. I guess it all depends on how strict they are at your repair center....... FYI I'm extremely clumsy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones