Cracked ScreenGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ncsustash

ncsustash Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my screen is freakin wrecked.

I dropped it from about 2 feet into a pile of leaves. I picked it up and dusted it off and didn't see any problems. I took it in side and set it on the table and came back in 10 minutes and had a crack running about 2.5" diagonally across the screen and a little one in the corner. After about an hour another one showed up running horizontally across the screen.

I find it hard to believe that the fall it took would cause the glass to shatter like it did. I think it might have been the temp difference of bringing it inside.....>90 to ~68.

Any advice? Should I contact VZW or HTC first? Any recommendations on 3rd party repairs?

Sorry no pics....the wife has the camera in China.

Advertisement
  2. lmbgm

lmbgm Well-Known Member

wow sorry to hear that. just a pile of leaves? Did the phone have some sort of case or cover?

3. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

It seems like there is some sort of problem with these screens. They should be able to take a drop like you describe without breakage.

4. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Well-Known Member

Sure there wasn't a rock or something under the leaves?

5. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Contact VZW ASAP to get a NEW replacement instead of a refurb. This is believable though, if it landed on its back. The camera lense acts as a channel for the force of the impact to go straight to the screen.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  6. ncsustash

no case....it was in an aftermarket belt clip sleeve and i had it in my hand and I bent over to pick something else up and it fell out of the sleeve as it wasn't a tight sleeve.

I doubt there was a rock...I was just walking in the woods and it didn't see like it landed very hard....maybe it just landed on the right spot the right way. Still, I dropped my BB Storm down several stairs with no problems.

I will swing by VZW tonight and see what they say. The worst they can say is no...

7. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I hope you had insurance I doubt they will cover under warranty but good luck.

8. jgigs

jgigs Well-Known Member

Wow that stinks.

I dropped my phone this weekend. It fell off the kitchen counter top onto the floor. Fortunately it survived with out any breaks.

9. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

anyone can still add insurance.. you can add it up to 30 days.

xkingofgodzx and ncsustash like this.
  10. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

I think its a "must have" considering all the mishaps we are seeing already.

11. ncsustash

great advice!

12. bfrey08

bfrey08 New Member

This is funny because this is almost the exact same scenario as me, however mine dropped from about 2 feet onto the soft grass, I did not realize my screen was cracked until I tried to turn it on 2 hours later, and the screen was discolored.

I as well have the HTC Droid Incredible, and am a previous owner of the BB storm.

The BB storm seemed like a tank, I dropped it a few times from much higher distances and no harm was done to it...

I do have insurance for the Incredible however, I might as well try out verizon/HTC to see if it is covered under warranty since I know the Nexus one is having plenty of screen problems.

13. ncsustash

The result....

Attached Files:

14. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

the incredible has a different screen than the nexus one...

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

+1 for insurance. I added it within a few days of getting mine, just in case. With these kinds of devices you just never know and as much as i carry it with theres a pretty good chance i'll get to use it.

16. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

Edit: Nevermind i was wrong it is 30 days with Verizon.

17. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I like that lamp.. No, really, I do..

18. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

the verizon case/holster saved my phone at least 5 times so far.
    on concrete, on tile floor, carpet, inside car on the floor and on carpet in the house. its does have its issues but the case/holster is a must in my opinion.

19. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

good lord, why is it being dropped so much???

20. thewholeshabang

thewholeshabang New Member

same thing happened to me. what ended up happening?

21. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I dropped mine from about 4 feet yesterday. I have the Red/Black gradient case on mine and it split apart after the fall. No damage to my Incredible though.

22. deanq4

deanq4 Member

Dropped mine from my pocket to a rubberized concrete floor (about 3 feet) and freaked out... a week later, no issues. Landed on the corner and popped the back off. Lucky I guess

23. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

leaves are evil....keep your inc away from leaves at all cost!

24. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

So to sum it up.... Leaves crack the screen and Styrofoam breaks the touchscreen. Who knew we were surrounded by such evil.

Seriously, I dropped mine from about a foot and I still freaked out. All these stories have me handling my DINC more carefully than a newborn. I am not a fan of cases but I may have to breakdown and get one. Luckily, I always opt for the insurance.

necosino likes this.
  25. kingwilliam

kingwilliam Member

I handle my Inc like baby Jesus, but unfortunately I am an idiot and I was driving with the phone sitting on my lap.....

As I have done hundreds of times with other phones, I got out of my vehicle and watched in slow motion horror as it fell toward the pavement..... it struck with a loud pop and I knew things were gonna be bad when I picked it up.

Needless to say, my screen looks like a busted windshield.....everything still works fine.

My brother has purchased replacement screens for his iphone that worked great.... I wish I could find one for this phone.

I have insurance, but I prefer to use that if I lost or totally destroyed the phone, cause I think you can only do 2 claims per year w vzw