Crap, I bricked my Evo :-)Support

Last Updated:

1. traderjoe

traderjoe New Member This Topic's Starter

Followed the instructions here, and bricked the phone. Now I have the HTC EVO 4G white screen.

I can't connect to the phone to see the SD card.On my sd card I currently have the following:

-- A stock recovery image from step #2:
    D. Use a program called "Root Explorer" or another file browser to transfer the file (/cache/OTA_Supersonic_3.26.651.6-1.47.651.1_releasexxxxxxxxxxxx.zip) to the SD Card.
    E. From your computer create stock recovery installer by extracting the OTA zip onto your computer, extract the zip inside of the OTA zip called firmware.zip. Then add the files android-info.txt and recovery.img from the firmware.zip to a zip file called PC36IMG.zip.

This file is now called pc36img-1.zip. (yeah, I know, lowercase).

-- Another PC36IMG.ZIP file from step#5
    A. Once your phone has finished loading up with the new update, you will probably want to root your phone with a recovery such as "ClockworkMod" (http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/recovery/clockworkmod/PC36IMG.ZIP).
    B. Place the on your SDcard to replace the one you used before (make a backup of the previous one if you wish to replace the recovery back to stock after rooting).

-- The superuser image from step #6
    A. Now you will want to "root" your phone by using Superuser 2.3.1 [APP] Superuser 2.3.1 - Big bugfixes [2010-08-11] - xda-developers.

-- and the froyo 2.2 OTA zip

I can get into the boot loader, but regardless of the Select the "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" image of PC36img.zip i use, I still get the white HTC screen and nothing more.

I did successfully apply the OTA, the phone came up fine, the directions seemed to work fine, and the only hiccup I had was that after completing all the steps up to the (optional) #7, the phone went straight to the boot loader after step 6's reboot without my forcing it to.

Now I can see the phone when I plug it into my PC, but can't get to the sd card, so can't get at the image files, add more, replace, etc.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I don't think you're completely bricked. First, find out if you can still boot into the custom recovery image. Power off the phone. Wait a few seconds, then hold power and vol-down buttons together until the white bootloader screen appears. Use vol-down to scroll to RECOVERY, and press power to select.

From here, you can flash a ROM, or you can use nandroid to restore your previous backup. I hope you did a nandroid backup first! If so, you can just restore that, and you'll be back up and running.

If you didn't do a backup, you can still recover if you can flash a working ROM. Do you have any on your SD card? If not, you'll need to find a drive for that SD card and plug it into your PC. Copy a ROM (or someone else's nandroid backup image) onto the SD card, then put it back into your phone. Then use recovery to flash/restore.

3. traderjoe

Thanks for your help here, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I can get to the bootloader screen, and navigate. So far so good.

No, I didn't (aarrgghh).

I have tried this a few times, and must just not be using appropriate images. I tried the Clockwork recovery via a link from unrevoked (I successfully did the unrevoked forever root earlier this week, very painless). But that one didn't make any difference. I just bought a reader, so I can read/write to the sd card from my PC, but there isn't anything useful on it. I also have the OTA from earlier today, and tried to use both it and the .img and firmware.zip img files (pushing them to the sd via the reader attached to my PC) but no go.

Where could I get a nandroid backup image?

(and of course I am traveling right now, so I am on the road with no phone).

BTW More detail from my boot screen:
    SUPERSONIC EVT2-2 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT-0.93.000
    RADIO-2.15.00.07.28
    Jul 23 2010, 16:41:47

4. novox77

Thanks for the bootloader info. That's good to know. You are FAR from bricked. My definition of bricked is that there's no possible way to recover your phone. But based on your bootloader info, you have successfully applied unrevoked4. You have S-OFF, which means you can flash a custom recovery if needed (which you don't), and with a good custom recovery, you can flash your phone to health again.

My recommendation is to flash the rooted stock 2.2 rom. So the first step is to go here:
    HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

and download the 2.2 ROM, Radio, and Wimax files onto your PC.

then copy these 3 zip files to your SD card. Put the SD card back in your phone and boot your phone into recovery.

Once you are in clockworkmod, go to the "install zip from sdcard" option. THen choose "choose zip from sdcard." Then choose the rooted stock ROM: HTC-OTA-3.26.651.6-Final-Froyo-Rooted-Odexed.zip. Accept the confirmation. When that finishes, reboot, and see if the OS loads up.

If it does, go back to recovery and flash the radio. reboot (make sure you reboot). Then go back to recovery and flash the wimax. reboot. If all's well, you will have a perfectly working rooted 2.2 system.

hortstu likes this.
  5. traderjoe

Awesome, this worked great. Thanks again for your help!

6. novox77

So you're unbricked? That would be good news :)

A few other things: once you are up and running on 2.2, do a factory reset on your phone. This is known to prevent/fix a lot of issues with the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2. I recommend setting up your phone manually (rather than restoring any apps from a backup). Once you have everything the way you like it, do a nandroid backup (from your recovery image).

Then, I would recommend flashing a custom kernel, like the one I use (see my sig). It gives you LOTS of perks, and everything else about your phone works just like stock.

features of the custom kernel:
    unlocks wifi and wired tethering
    uncaps framerate so you get 50+ fps
    increases touchscreen sensitivity
    enables CPU throttling
    enables 3 or 5point multitouch

7. mich2ga

mich2ga Member

This is a great support post... novox77 "You're The Man"

8. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

tagged

9. Callie

Callie New Member

Ive tried that on my phone and when i click recover all i get is a phone with an triangle and an exclamtion point. I need to phone back up and running. plz help me.