• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help CRAP!!!! SanDisk 32G microSDHC mount READ ONLY???

QuickDraw

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
Ok, just received my new card shipped to me by Amazon, and the stupid thing keeps having all kinds of difficulty with different things....like, music mp3 files. Every time I try to copy stuff over to it via Disk Drive/USB it keeps unmounting. I've managed to get a lot more onto the card, but now it is mounting in READ ONLY mode. What the crap!!! I searched the forums and cannot find anything like this and so I started my own thread. I would GREATLY appreciate any/all comments relating to what you may think is going on.

Thanks.

What exactly did you do when you first got the card? Did you try formatting it or anything? How much data (in GB) have you gotten on the card? What happens when you try to mount it to your computer via usb?

Thanks akazabam for your reply. Yes, I formatted it in the phone, although it already had a FAT32 format on it. I've managed to get about 8-10G on it. I've also managed to use the adapter that came with it to connect it with my desktop. Almost every time I connect it to Windows the system tells me that there are errors on the card. I run disk check and it fixes them and then some of the data is lost and I start all over again with trying to get data to stay on it without problems. It seems to be MUCH worse when I'm dealing with music, not sure why.

Upvote 0
Where did you get this card from? Amazon? It sounds like there might be a problem with the card, especially if it's giving you problems even outside the card. Have you tried formatting it in the computer instead?

Yea, Windows formats it with no problem, and Windows also says there is nothing wrong with the card (except of course for the previously described problem). The problem seems to start after putting it back in the phone and copying over a bunch of files.

Upvote 0
Does it act up only after putting on a certain number of files (up to a certain GB)? Did you buy this directly from amazon or was it used or something?

Oh, I forgot that question, sorry. Yes, it was purchased from Amazon, well from their website anyway, Sold by Komputerbay LTD and fulfilled by Amazon. It was sold as a brand new kit (adapter + SD Card). It seemed to me at first that it was screwing up due to the amounnt of G's put on it, but I've since decided to put a few on there at a time and it seems to be working....so far anyway. I'm not up to the 8-10G yet though. Also back when this first started and I had put a whole mess of data on there at once, mainly songs, I saw, briefly, a message to the effect that there was DRM files in my music, which is wrong as far as I know. I can play those very same songs when the other card is being used, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I'm just really stumped. I'm going to add some more onto the card tonight and give it some more time before I put any more on it. Every single time I try to load it up all at once, it messes up, like it can't keep up or something. I've got the exact same card type in it now, the only difference being is the size. Weird!!

Upvote 0
Interesting. Here's the thing - weird things, even the symptoms you're seeing, can happen when an sdcard is almost full. Whether it's a mislabeled card or just a faulty one, it sounds like it may not be capable of holding as much as it claims. I suggest you test it with an app that can verify the true capacity of a card (by writing a bunch of huge files and verifying them). You can search for them; I know there are a bunch out there. Give me a minute, and I'll see if I can find one.

EDIT: Search for h2testw. Looks like that should work. Run it using the adapter.

Reactions: QuickDraw
Upvote 0
Interesting. Here's the thing - weird things, even the symptoms you're seeing, can happen when an sdcard is almost full. Whether it's a mislabeled card or just a faulty one, it sounds like it may not be capable of holding as much as it claims. I suggest you test it with an app that can verify the true capacity of a card (by writing a bunch of huge files and verifying them). You can search for them; I know there are a bunch out there. Give me a minute, and I'll see if I can find one.

EDIT: Search for h2testw. Looks like that should work. Run it using the adapter.

Thanks for that info akazabam, I'll give that a shot later on if I continue to have troubles. As it stands "right now", it's looking better than before. I think I might have found a link to something that was causing the problem "MAYBE". I noticed on Windows Update that there was an voluntary "suggested" update that pertained to SD Cards. It said that you needed to update with this update IF you wanted to use SD cards larger than 32G. Now the card is supposed to be 32G, but I figured that it may be having difficulty since the card size was right at the limit, so I updated with it and now for the first time since I got the SD Card, I have ALL of my music and pics on the card with no problems with the card going into "Read Only", the music player recognizes all of the music. I'm a happy camper right now. I also noticed that the transfers had a rough time when there were multiple directories within a directory....example Three Dog Night being the main directory, then a few sub-directories within that one for the albums. So I just created the main directories and then dragged/dropped the sub-directories and that seemed to take care of at least part of the troubles I was having copying things over.

Question: If I use that program you mentioned, will I have to erase my sd card again for it to work? Or will the program allow the files to remain there as it's doing it's thing? Again, thanks so much for your help.

EDIT: Forget that question right up there, I found out the card should be empty to test the whole card.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I think I forgot to ask you an important question - was it giving you problems only while in the computer, or while in the phone as well? If it was only on the computer, then that makes sense. I guess I just assumed it was both...

As to your question about that app, supposedly it will not touch existing data, but if it finds any kind of corruption, and attempts to fix it, it could affect existing data, from what I understand. Just make sure you have that data elsewhere before running it just in case. If everything is working now, don't bother. Like I said, if it was only happening on windows, you can blame me for not asking that simple question in the first place :).

Upvote 0
Interesting. I think I forgot to ask you an important question - was it giving you problems only while in the computer, or while in the phone as well? If it was only on the computer, then that makes sense. I guess I just assumed it was both...

As to your question about that app, supposedly it will not touch existing data, but if it finds any kind of corruption, and attempts to fix it, it could affect existing data, from what I understand. Just make sure you have that data elsewhere before running it just in case. If everything is working now, don't bother. Like I said, if it was only happening on windows, you can blame me for not asking that simple question in the first place :).

No, it was messing up on both. But I figure because of the way the Windows machine was handling things, prior to the update I mentioned, was causing it to mess up on the phone. I'm pretty sure that every time I stuck it in the windows machine and it came back with the msg that it wanted to run check disk, what it always found was erros in the System Files...to me, that means whatever it puts on the disk during Format. Just my line of thought right now.

I REALLY APPRECIATE your help, thanks.

:cool: BLAME :cool: baa, humbug :D

Upvote 0
The media is likely to be defective.
27.7 GByte OK (58214400 sectors)
1.9 GByte DATA LOST (4100096 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
1.9 GByte corrupted (4100096 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000004500000
Expected: 0x0000000004500000
Found: 0x8393f85164112978
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 5.65 MByte/s
Reading speed: 20.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

As you can see above there I decided to go ahead and test it and it looks like (by what I read anyway) that it is a defective product. I've already set up a return/refund with Amazon. Thanks for telling me about that program akazabam.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones