crap to "oh snap" (Battery)

Last Updated:

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so after trying every battery trick in the book my phone was still dying after 6-7 hours of LIGHT use, VERY LIGHT use.

well i took it off the charger at 1:30pm today and now at 5:30 it still has %87 battery left, the first %10 drained pretty quickly but now it is nice and steady the last trick i tried was the cycling of charging while on, then charging while off, although it stayed green when i booted it ON the 2nd time, i turned it off while still plugged in and it charged for another 10 minutes, when i booted it up the 2nd time as well before i turned it off i did the GSM > CDMA trick, (i think doing it while plugged in and rebooting while still on the plug makes it stick for some reason...)

and now i have MUCH better battery life. since 1:30 i'd say it's been light to moderate useage but i can tell it will last me a whole day if it stays like this... no more mid afternoon charges.

is anyone else that has one of the mysteriously bad batteries having a change of results after a while? i really am baffled by what has happened

Advertisement
  2. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

What is this GSM > CDMA trick you're talking about?

3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

YOU DON'T NEED A HARD RESET EVEN. I CAN CONFIRM, ALL I DID WAS THIS:

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR ITSELF:
    [​IMG]

***NOW, WE JUST NEED TO GET THIS TO STICK AFTER A PHONE REBOOT!***

jsmnt, Cicatrize and bamaster like this.
  4. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

i did these same tricks but i didnt have a bad battery to begin with. i dont notice much more life after the trick. i get anywhere from 8-22 hours off one charge depending on my reception/usage.

5. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yea i think these tricks MOSTLY benefit those crappy battery's out there, i was very suprised that HTC's suggested trick actually worked, and that doing the GSM>CDMA trick while plugged in now stuck... still confused but deffiantly loving the results... we'll see how they stick throught the week

6. lyons238

dreamliner you keep posting that pic but it proves nothing...it shows you didnt use the phone for the majority of the time then you just stat to use it at the end where it cuts off and ur battery starts to decline...

please stop posting it lol

edit: the htc battery trick didnt change anything for me. i charged the phone while on then off. then on then everytime i turn it back off its never instantly green. i guess only some phones it works for.

7. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

So is there no reason to have this functionality on at all since the phone itself is a CDMA device and not a GSM device? Can the phone even pick up a GSM signal?

8. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

Knowing that HTC has a history of making phones for both markets, it's not impossible that some of the guts of the phone (including the OS) know what GSM is, even if it doesn't have a full set of GSM radios.

9. sitlet

sitlet Banned

That's what i've been saying. The phone does NOT have a gsm radio. Those options for cdma/gsm are generic options so that any carrier can use android. I tried it the other day and saw NO difference in battery life. The reason this guy is getting better life, as you can tell by the screen cap, he is not using the phone at all.

10. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member

My battery was never that bad either but now after this trick, its amazing. After 6 hours of moderate use im still at 70 percent.

11. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

Just remember the cdma trick that Dreamliner mentioned, you need to do that same thing every time you boot back up from a power down. Unfortunately it goes right back to the same setting you changed it from in the first place. Bummer huh.

12. BigHAZE

BigHAZE Well-Known Member

I did as instructed and found that I am ALREADY using the CDMA auto (prl) and I have changed NOTHING since I got the phone. I rebooted, did the same thing and found that it STILL has the preferred network type set to CDMA auto (prl). Maybe those with crappy battery life have a phone that is "pre-set" to GSM and you have to change it. My battery life has been decent and I don't have to change anything to get it to stay in CDMA mode.

Your thoughts?

13. lyons238

ya hopefully someone will make an app so it doesnt automatically every time you boot up. devs go go!

14. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Too much to hassle with. Go with the Incredible instead.

15. lyons238

lol troll. we already have evo's and imo the evo is better than the incredible. the incredible has its own fair share of issues as well. so you work with what you have and make the best of it. thank you.

16. emac

emac Well-Known Member

...Go post in the Incredible forum instead. The Incredible isn't known to exactly have an amazing battery life either though.

17. dlocks

dlocks Well-Known Member

You can download an app called NETWORK which does the same thing without using the dialer and I have not had to change the setting even after a power down and boot up

18. bpcooper14

bpcooper14 Active Member

I've been fully charging the phone before bed with various settings (ATK on vs. uninstalled); WIFI on vs. off; Mobile on vs. off. I am getting about a 10-12% drop in power in 9 hrs of "sleep". I don't nkow what any one else's results are, but this seems about average to me.

19. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i took my phone off the charger over 24hrs ago and i still won't have to drop it on the charger until i finally hit the hay in another 3hrs.

ps. you don't have to do the GSM > CDMA prl trick every time you boot. just checked. it still says CDMA auto prl and my phone has been rebooted several times due to installing different PRL's...

20. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks for the information. I'll download that later....although I may not have to as lastnight after doing the cdma trick, I powered off, then this morning I went in to do the same thing after powering on, and the darn thing is still on the cdma setting. :confused: Go figure.

21. johnnychimpo26

johnnychimpo26 Member

Dont feed the Troll.

My battery life is just great now after i did the gsm cdma trick a few days ago. It keeps the radio from continually scanning for a gsm network. Its gota to be an os glitch. My phone lasted all day yesterday with minimal use in standby til this morning with 84% still left.

22. zerozed

zerozed Active Member

After rooting my Evo with fresh mine sticks on CDMA.

23. RagingSamster

RagingSamster Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone is compensating for a small screen.

24. olla

olla Member

This is amazing! I had 70% right before doing this thing and right after doing this the battery level CHANGED to 92% Thanks guys

25. SSDave

SSDave New Member

I to did not have to change from GSM to CDMA network. However I already have fresh 0.2 installed. not sure if they had a fix in it.

SSDave