• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Crash And Burn

Azelis

Apr 28, 2010
Minnesota
Yes, that was a Hackers reference.

Okay so I'm getting random lockups/reboots all day long. I've been working slowly to figure out what's causing them but it's a very long process to change one thing at a time and wait for stability. So here's what I've changed and here's what I haven't. Can someone else having this same problem let me know if any of these match?

If something is listed as changed, that means I either replaced or deleted it and I still have the issue.

Changed:
Kernel: Hydra (latest over/undervolt overclock), Koush for Cyanogenmod (stock speed)
Digital Clock, Digital Clock Widget
Sundroid Pro
Weather Channel, Weather Bug (standard)
Rom Manager (Pro, but the Pro download is just the license)
Email.apk (moved to app.disabled on account of Cyanogen FC bug)
Battery Graph
Amazon MP3 (wasn't on FrankenROM, haven't gotten around to getting rid of yet in CM6)
Swype, Sense keyboard, standard keyboard (franken, franken, cm6 repsectively)

Unchanged:
Radar Now
Launcher Pro (trying ADW at the moment but Launcher Pro is still installed)
System Panel Lite
RealCalc
Solitaire
Unified Remote
All Google stock apps (except Email.apk)
Color Note
Background (I use a static image, not a live wallpaper)

It would seem to me that the battery/system seems kind of warm right after a lockup/reboot but checking with the battery monitor shows that most of the battery's being eaten up by the backlight, followed very far by the android system (maybe 1/20th of the backlight drain).

***EDIT*** I forgot to mention that a surefire way to cause a reboot is to run navigation for about 5 minutes, or at least it was when I had Hydra/FrankenROM on there. Haven't tried in with koush/CM6 yet.

An update: Last night I disabled Launcher Pro and used ADW.Launcher instead. I used Google Navigation in walking mode (which is real krispy if you haven't checked it out yet) and went for a walk for an hour or so. No problems. And I haven't had a reboot since. I think it might be Launcher Pro that's been killing my system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones