1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Crash Detection

Last Updated:

1. mckinleytabor

mckinleytabor Member This Topic's Starter

No, not a software crash, the real kind of crash.

In writing a post about stolen phone tracking, I had an ideal.

Does anyone know to what resolution the accelerometer in the G1 is? I read about the Google Guys and an app that recorded the phone being tossed in the air, so I figured it it might have a high degree of resolution.

Here's my thought. Have a back ground app watch for sudden massive deceleration. (i.e. the sudden massive deceleration that comes when your car hits a light poll). Now assuming that the phone survives the crash, the app would then open up and try to get a GPS fix. It could also send those GPS coordinates to someone via email or sms. In addition, the application could try and "alert you", if you cannot respond because you are uncontentious, the phone could then "call" some one, and play a prerecorded message.

"This is McKiney's phone, there may have been an antecedent, the phone is located near (reads address), I am turning on the speaker phone so you can try and talk with McKinley"

The phone would then active the speaker phone so the caller could try and communicate with the phone owner. The app would also read back the address at various intervals.

Of course you would not want the phone calling mom to tell her that her son was dead in a car wreak because your phone was in your gym bag when you threw it on the floor in a lost-racket-ball-game rage. So the overall concept might be flawed, but it's worth a thought.

Advertisement
  2. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

An app that does this has already been submitted to the developer challenge. I forget the name of it right off the top of my head, but I did see it.

3. Appman

Appman New Member

There is a new app out there that does exactly that! The app is called My-911. You can get it on the Android market or go to their website. It has several very impressive features. It has crash detection and will notify emergency services of the location and that there has been an incident. It also notifies 5 emergency contacts chosen ahead of time with a personal predetermined message. It also has a roadside assistance button, an audible alarm, a silent alarm, and several other capabilities. It is definitely revolutionary!

4. kritan

kritan New Member

hi,
    im trying to create an app similar to the mentioned accident detection app.Would it be a repetition if i created it.

5. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

Probably. That doesn't mean it won't be a useful and/or successful app. Take a look at the existing apps and make yours distinctive. Give it a different UI, some extra features, a better way of doing something, etc and you could end up with a popular app.