Crazy car-charger pricing....

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't bought one yet, but I've seen them dangling from display stands, posted on Ebay, the check-out line of the corner drug store, gas stations...

I've seen them from 76 cents at Amazon to $35 for multi-use chargers.

Are they all pretty much the same thing, or are there recommended brands or models that work better than others?

Advertisement
  2. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

I highly suggest the Moto original equipment, next would be Verizon versions.. I've seen many that do not interface properly and may actually drain your battery if navigation is being used.

3. Robchaos

Robchaos Well-Known Member

I have seen people who have had no problem with bargain priced car chargers, I personally stick with OE or reputable brands. I had some wierd issues when I used a friends cheap chargers. My screen went haywire and did not respond to touch. I had to reboot after unplugging the charger.

I have a Igo car charger for my HTC hero. They have a tip for the droid as well that will output the proper Mah to keep your phone charging even while using apps that are a heavy drain on the battery. You can get the Igo charger plus tip for under $30 from Radio Shack

4. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

I guess I got lucky, my old phones chargers work perfectly with my Droid. FYI my old phone was a blackberry curve 8900...

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I typically give the advice of "stick with OEM or reputable brands". But I hafta tell ya, my DROID just doesn't seem to give a rip. Any old charger I got that I can convert to micro USB, and she just doesn't seem to care.

6. hall640

hall640 Member

My old Motorola one works great that was used for my Blackberry Pearl Flip and a Motorola i576.

7. Trapper31

Trapper31 Well-Known Member

I am also going to second (or third or forth?) the advice to stick with OEM or Verizon, for reasons already stated. I will add though that I bought my official Motorola OEM charger for around $13 shipped (I can't remember the site off-hand), so going that route does not have to break the bank.

8. Fazed

Fazed Member

I finally got fed up with having to get car chargers for every different device, so I bought an inexpensive (~$20) power inverter. Now I can charge anything that plugs into a regular power outlet. And since pretty much all devices come with a wall-adapter, I no longer have to buy car chargers at all.

Problem solved!

9. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

This one will work and it is only a buck and change, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
    use it with the usb cable that came with your phone, this one will output up to 1000ma which is more than the phone needs. The problems people experience with funky displays, etc. are when they use ones that only output 500ma. The charger that comes with the phone is rated up to 850ma, so using anything less than 850ma will likely cause slow charging and or funky behavior, or even power drain. Using a charger that is rated at higher than 850 is not a problem, as the phone will only draw what it needs. It is when it can't get what it needs that you run into problems.

10. Kirch21

Kirch21 Well-Known Member

no problems here with my 9.99 kwik shop charger haha

11. djstarion

djstarion Member

I have the car charger that came with the car dock. Couldn't be happier.

12. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

monoprice.com is your best friend.

13. zeroG

zeroG Active Member

I bought the rocketfish car charger at Best Buy mobile. It's the all-in-one that has different adapters for every brand of phone. It was only $15

Which is very funny because the motorola specific rocketfish car charger was $25, go figure

14. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

I bought that one as well from Monoprice.. have not had any issues with the phone not getting charged while in the car.. even using GPS. However I also bought a longer USB cable (like $2) so I wasn't stuck with the short stock one while in the car. Bought an additional adapter for my gf's Droid Eris and it also is working flawlessly.

I will mention this though, when I first got the adapter I plugged everything in and the Droid never said it was charging.. I was so mad cause I thought it was defective. Then I realized I had forgotten that when the Droid doesn't need a charge.. it won't state it is charging while plugged in (or any notification of being plugged in for that matter.).

15. skyline987

skyline987 Well-Known Member

Monoprice is definetly the way to go. I got one and the cord was defective and the charger broke but they sent me free replacements for both so they're a stand up company. To make things even better i was using navigation, last.fm and streaming to my car radio using bluetooth and the phone still charged up.

16. bebegrl

bebegrl Active Member

I bought the Motorola charger from Amazon for ~7 shipped. I've always bought my chargers from there... no problems so far.

Car Charger

17. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

i bought one at walmart for like 10 bucks for my LG Dare. It works perfect for my Droid as well.