Crazy home Screen Behavior when plugged inGeneral

Last Updated:

1. falltime

falltime Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just discovered this issue - it may be only relevant to 2.1 since I upgraded (or to something else entirely) but when my Eris is plugged in and I use it the Home Screen seems to act crazy - well not that crazy - just that with motion the Homes Screens roll "left( that is to the left most screen) almost like I am using the track ball (but only in one direction) - unplug it and it works fine - its not a major issue but a wierd one - anyone else notice this behavior.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Try a different usb cable/charger. This has happened to people on 1.5 and 2.1 when they use bad cables/chargers.

3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

comes from having a bad ground, or not good enough ground, with the aftermarket cable/charger. this can be/is a problem with any phone with a touchscreen like the eris.

4. falltime

falltime Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It happens at home and work - it would be weird to have 2 "bad" chargers no?

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

if it is an aftermarket charger and not the one that came with the phone then yes, it is the charger...more then likely.

6. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Any eris will do this sometimes while plugged in. some less than others. Worse with cheap chargers.

Higher current increases the frequency. Electro magnetic field from a wall charger is enough to interfere with the capacitive touch screen.

7. PaulCoffeeFreak

PaulCoffeeFreak Member

I didn't realize that this was a known problem. Mine is doing the same thing, but it's unpredictable. And it will do it when unplugged, although plugging it in almost guarantees a left scroll. I even did a factory reset, thinking it was an app issue. Mine also sometimes jumps the cursor around while I am trying to tweet or message someone...talk about annoying!

And the only cable I use is the factory charger that came with the phone!

8. OfTheDamned

If it is doing this when the phone is unplugged then you have something going on with the trackball or the screen. The charger problem would not effect the phone after it is unplugged.

9. PaulCoffeeFreak

PaulCoffeeFreak Member

So what's the best way to fix the trackball? Alcohol wipe? I don't really see any other way to clean it. I have to admit I pocket carry, so most likely I am to blame...

10. OfTheDamned

I would take it to Verizon and show them the problem you are having. They will either fix it for you or replace it.

11. PaulCoffeeFreak

PaulCoffeeFreak Member

OTD, I followed your advice and took it to a corporate store. The tech looked at it, found another tech who used the Eris personally, and both agreed that it was freaky. I actually wonder if the accelerometer wasn't part of the problem...no way to know, I guess. Anyway, Verizon is shipping me a replacement phone, so hopefully my problem is solved....we'll see.

12. PaulCoffeeFreak

PaulCoffeeFreak Member

My replacement Eris arrived today. The truly insane thing is, my original phone hasn't gone haywire once today! Well, except for Google Maps trying to tell me I was located about 100 miles south of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba! But I blame Google for that, and they did fix it...

I have a few days to tinker with it, so....