Crazy oversharpened photos?

Last Updated:

1. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting some very odd behavior from the camera of my SO's Hero, this is a 200 iso image. Reduced version below plus a 100% crop. It seems to exhibit massive oversharpening or almost like some filter applied. As far as I can tell there are no such things being applied. Anyone see this before?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. dr g

Whoops, this should be in the Sprint Hero forum, can someone help me move it?

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Moved! :)

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Out of curiosity, what firmware? 2.1 or 1.5?

Have you tried going into the settings of the camera and turning the sharpness down?

5. dr g

2.1 .... and nevermind ... despite repeatedly asking the user to check the sharpness setting, I get the phone in hand and sure enough it's set at +1. Dropped it down and the crazy halos seemed to be fixed. Sigh.

Sixxx likes this.
  6. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Wow. I've never messed with the sharpness on a camera like that, but i kinda like the way the picture looks. It's good to know how to do that in the future if i want to add a cool effect. Thanks, even though that wasn't your intention lol.

7. dr g

i'd actually be curious to know whether you get similar results. I notice the effect is most pronounced in low light.

8. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

*goes to try*

Hey does that picture you took the picture of have just bare canvas or does it have like a glass covering or anything?

... :-\ So I use camera zoom FX and i can't even find a "sharpness" setting on it. I Opened the stock camera app and here are the results with a +1 sharpness

The first pic is at 1M res, the second is at 5M res, the 1M res seems to add the effect alot more than the 5M res. The only setting i changed was the res so maybe higher res pics wont show it as well normally? I dunno. I normally use the 1M res because whenever i take pics in 3 or 5M it asks me to resize them anyways before i send them to people... Damn things are huge!

Attached Files:

9. oldjackbob

oldjackbob Well-Known Member

I've tried all of the market camera apps since November, looking for one that takes better pics than the stock 1.5 camera app, and I've never found one...in fact, nothing I found was even as good in terms of picture quality as the stock app. And when 2.1 came out, the new stock camera was worlds better than the 1.5 camera in terms of taking clear and sharp pictures.

So if you're looking for the best picture quality, then get rid of the zoom FX, and set the stock app for 5M and sharpness on -1, ISO on 200 and blaze away. Those are the settings that I use, and I'm a happy camper! ;)

10. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Hmm... I'll give it a shot and see how i like it. Truth be told I like zoom FX alot... it takes good pictures as far as i can tell. Maybe i should set the camera like you said and compare pictures from the 2 apps. I'll let you know how it turns out.

11. dr g

It was bare. The sharpening setting is in the stock camera app.