1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Create Events from Email?

Last Updated:

1. keziah23

keziah23 New Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking for an app that will allow me to take an email I receive and convert it to an event in my calendar. I use my Droid (running 2.2) for both work and personal I get many meeting request via email that go "hey, let's meet at 3pm". I am usually running down the hall when I receive this so I want to be able to take that email and quickly put it on my calendar.

Any apps that do that?

I use the Email application for work which is what I need this for.

Advertisement
  2. brianem

brianem Well-Known Member

I'd like a way to seamlessly do this too. IT doesn't allow me to sync work stuff with personal phones, but I still want all my after hour events / meetings on my phone without a lot of fuss.

3. mperdue

mperdue New Member

I noticed that iPhone 4 has this feature and was expecting that Android would have it. Say someone writes:

"Let's meet tomorrow at 2pm"

It would automatically add this to a calendar event if you wanted, without having to minimize the email and copy/paste and retype to calendar.

I noticed that iPhone 4 has had this feature since last summer, but Android doesn't have it??? That's strange.

4. normofthenorth

normofthenorth New Member

I've just switched from an iPod touch to a spiffy quad core android smartphone, and I can't believe I've lost this feature! Any suggestions?

5. SkyJackpot

SkyJackpot Well-Known Member

First I would suggest for the health & safety of yourself and others around you that you don't run down halls, especially if you're trying to do something on your phone without dropping it.

Android allows you to selectively choose which parts of an email you want to create into an event, therefore eliminating any frustrations you might get if you were only allowed to convert the whole email and ended up converting details which might run for more than a page.

The share feature is available on Android for any text in any application. So while Web browsing and you see details about an event you can convert that to an event too. Or
    browsing through your RSS feeds or text messages etc.

6. normofthenorth

normofthenorth New Member

That's certainly helpful for me. Still not QUITE as helpful as iOS, which recognizes and links dates and times in an email, but still a big help.

7. dylane

dylane Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a way to do this also. Samsung's email client seemed like it is supposed to have this ability to spot dates and times and hyperlink them to make a calendar item, but in practice it only ever recognizes "today" or "tomorrow" and not the time preceding them, or any actual dates listed in an email.

The alternative offered here doesn't work for me either, first because highlighting pages of text in Android is virtually impossible, but even if I manage that the calendar isn't one of the options I can share with.

8. SkyJackpot

SkyJackpot Well-Known Member

I would imagine not having to look at your phone while running down the hall would be less of a health & safety risk to yourself & others as well as help to keep your productivity consistent by avoiding any chance of dropping your phone and having to have it replaced or repaired.

You can make calendar events as quick as saying "quick schedule meeting 3pm" and if you say the name of the person you're meeting, for example "quick schedule meeting 3pm with kate" then an event in S Planner will be made at that time with the contact "Kate" embedded inside the S Planner calendar.

This is achieved by a program named AVX in the Google Play Store http://goo.gl/iNyP3M

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the AVX settings if you choose your Google account calendar as default for all new events to be put in then your new event will be synced to any calendar application on your phone which is setup to sync with your phone

9. robdam1001

robdam1001 Well-Known Member

Why not just use "Ok Google" command?

10. dylane

dylane Well-Known Member

That seems nice, but if I understand correctly it still will not convert the body of an email into an event? Typically my calendar items need to have that information for context. If I'm at my devotion I can drag an email in Outlook to the calendar and then all of that info, like location or dial in information will be in the calendar entry. Seems like I can't do that from my phone?