Creating a bootable linux CD soley to SBF *headache free*

1. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Hey guys here is the easiest way (IMO) to SBF. This has saved a lot of people and works great no matter which computer OS you use. All credit goes to 1KDS over at DroidXforums.com.

Link to the OP! (<----- if links are broken, go here)

Advertisement
    :
    P1DroidX, Mikeyz, ozzzy3z and 23 others like this.
  2. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member

anyone try this yet on a mac?

thanks for the awesome info!
  3. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i actually just ran across this yesterday and burned the iso to a cd. I went as far as booting from it and running the linux build from the CD. Since i just recently bought a MacBook Pro this is a HUGE lifesaver for me. I really think the link to link to this should be added to the rooting guide sticky at the top of the thread. ...hint hint guides....
    DroidDiord likes this.
  4. Aggie12

For sure it works on a mac. All I do is mac. Well I dual-boot snow leopard and ubuntu 10.04.

And I wouldn't post something I didn't try :p I didn't even need to SBF but did anyway to check it out.

Don't be scared when it says loading /boot/roofs.gz and then it fills your screen with yellow dots. It takes a few minutes.

Edit: I put it in the stick with all the major links. I put the link to this thread so people can ask questions here as well.
  5. trophynuts

i actually have already had someone in the Lounge suggest to me to use this method on my new MBP for sbf'ing. I may try it out for sh*ts and grins but i really feel that it will work. Like i said i went as far as booting from the cd (didn't have my phone connected) so i just bypassed the option of running the SBF script and booted into the linux os. So i think it will be awesome.
  6. droidx2010

droidx2010 Well-Known Member

I just used this on Windows Vista flawlessly. RSD Lite couldn't get the job done, but this seems to have done the job
  7. cougar214

cougar214 Well-Known Member

Oh goody. A new way of SBF'ing to get used to....lol......very nice find indeed.
  8. Bugly

Bugly VIP Member VIP Member

Does NOT work on powerpc. Just putting that out there if anyone other than me has one....lol
    Nice find, anyway!
  9. trophynuts

...hey can't you also burn this to a thumb and do the same thing? How about an sd card? ....just wondering.
  10. Bugly

Bugly VIP Member VIP Member

I read that somewhere on the droidx forum that it can be done. There is a link on how to do it on that page
  11. Aggie12

yeah its a little harder than burning a CD but let me take a look.
  12. trophynuts

yeah i have made a bootable thumbdrive that has my Win7 distro on it. I was thinking i would like to make another thumbdrive with just this on it. ..a thumb drive is more durable in my backpack and that way my cd drive isn't constantly spinning like its about to take off.
  13. cougar214

cougar214 Well-Known Member

Not to mention that kind of constant vibration isn't good for a laptop. It tends to shake things loose over time. Kinda like my head.....lol
  14. BOOGIE_BOTZ

BOOGIE_BOTZ Well-Known Member

So to break it down completely, this SBF's the DX to where you can OTA to the new update?
  15. Aggie12

For sure. Just like SBFing on windows with RSDlite but waaay easier
    BOOGIE_BOTZ likes this.
  16. BOOGIE_BOTZ

BOOGIE_BOTZ Well-Known Member

Can't wait...been holding off on SBF'ing since I didn't have access to a PC
  17. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

This rules. I couldn't SBF my X back to .340 using RSDLite. It kept failing. This worked like a charm.
  18. Teegunn

Teegunn Well-Known Member

I could never get RSD lite to work on my Win 7 64 bit laptop. So I finally installed RSD lite on my older Win 7 32 bit laptop, and it worked fine. But maaaaan was it frustrating to try many different options on my 64 bit rig before giving up. Wished I had seen this bootable linux option before that, but ohh well. If I SBF again I will try this option for sure.
  19. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member

to be able to work on my macbook pro when away from my desktop at home is awesome. word.
  20. TVC430

TVC430 Member

This works great on my macbook pro. Just hold down the "C" key on your keyboard and it boots up off the CD. I have used it multiple times now. Thank You!
  21. bouchigo

bouchigo Well-Known Member

Not to be contradictory or anything, but I think sbf'ing in Win 7 (64-bit) is a piece of cake.
  22. Aggie12

Oh it is. But with the amount of people saying they have issues with RSDlite and/or drivers, phone not being recognized and the like I figure this is easier.

There are so many threads needing help with SBF'ing and RSDlite, just sayin.

If you know what you're doing and have done it before doing it on Windows is not a problem.
  23. bouchigo

bouchigo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess that's a good point :D
  24. azgunz

azgunz Well-Known Member

just did it tonight and it worked flawlessly

Much easier than doin it with RSD in Parallels (or alike) IMO
  25. murdoc158

murdoc158 Well-Known Member

Haven't downloaded this yet, but if this is burned to a bootable flash drive, is it possible to just replace the .sbf file with an updated one should it ever become available?