• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Creating a bootable linux CD soley to SBF *headache free*

Haven't downloaded this yet, but if this is burned to a bootable flash drive, is it possible to just replace the .sbf file with an updated one should it ever become available?

I'll take care of that for ya ;)

Glad you guys are liking the LiveCD

Look for a new and improved version tomorrow, also D2, D2G, DPro and Xoom are on my short list, OG Droid is available already.

Edit: Yes, works great on Mac, I built it on a MBP, and flashed my DX from it multiple times.

Upvote 0
I'll take care of that for ya ;)

Glad you guys are liking the LiveCD

Look for a new and improved version tomorrow, also D2, D2G, DPro and Xoom are on my short list, OG Droid is available already.

Edit: Yes, works great on Mac, I built it on a MBP, and flashed my DX from it multiple times.

as a new first time owner of an MBP i really appreciate this. Thanks for your work.

Upvote 0
First off THANKS !!! 1KDS for making the recovery CD! And Aggie12 for posting about it!!
It is a great tool and has saved me a bunch of time!!!
I am now back on Apex 141 and very disappointed in the Gingerbread upgrade.
I started out SBFing back to 340 stock from Apex 141. I also wiped data, cache and factory wipe, every step in the SBF process. All went smooth as silk with the 2 part upgrade. I used Titanium to restore my apps and when I started checking them out I got FC's on most of them. I double checked to make sure they were current and they were current. So I SBFed back again to 340 and started over again. On this 2nd attempt I cleared everything again 3 times just to be sure the wipe process took. I installed the upgrade again and wiped 3 times again and got the same FC's again. O instead of doing the batch restore in TB I did the restore one by one. This is when you really appreciate the batch function! Well I got abit frustrated :mad: with the way Gingerbread was behaving.
I then SBFed back rooted and installed CWM, loaded my nandroid backup back on to the phone and renamed the upgrade file in system\app so I would not get the upgrade barker.
So at this point in time I am not impressed with Gingerbread at all!!
I wound up wasting this weekend on this process and will maybe try at a later time when the dust settles and when Apex 2 is out.

1KDS & Aggie12 Thanks again for providing a GREAT TOOL!!!:D

Harry

Upvote 0
Harry, I wish I could take credit for it but I'm just the messenger! 1KDS put this all together and I posted it here since he doesn't frequent this forum much :p

Did you ever try running GB without restoring all the data for your apps just to see how that went? For whatever reason, some have reported FC's when restoring data like that every once in a while.

Upvote 0
Harry, I wish I could take credit for it but I'm just the messenger! 1KDS put this all together and I posted it here since he doesn't frequent this forum much :p

Did you ever try running GB without restoring all the data for your apps just to see how that went? For whatever reason, some have reported FC's when restoring data like that every once in a while.

Aggie12 I edited my post moments after sending it.
I did run GB with out running restore and the stock blur worked ok and I'm leaning towards compatibility issues with the apps or it could be something else. Apex 141 has been working perfect for me so far. I have also created some apps that is geared towards controlling broadcast equipment at work.
My DX has saved me trips to the office when the station is having some issues. :D But I had more problems with other tools for the DX. Also some widgets caused the phone to reboot which was strange. I hope it is not my DX being the issue but it has been fine up to this update. This is my 4th DX due to other HW problems with the DX. :mad:

Upvote 0
I just checked the properties against the filesize and it matches exactly. I created the disc using the link for Windows 7 provided so it burned exactly like it looks like it should from the link. Is the download a .zip file because I can extract to desktop, which gives me a folder named BOOT.
After I select in BIOS to boot from CD, the machine reboots but then it says failed to boot.
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm pretty much a newbie at this stuff.

Upvote 0
I think this is a very good idea and very helpful, but I also think that people should actually learn how to sbf and how the process works before taking shortcuts.

Just like when you do math, you should learn how to work out problems properly without skipping steps so you get a full understanding of what you are doing, and once you understand the concept you can skip steps, etc.

Of course, that's just my point of view ;)

Upvote 0
I think this is a very good idea and very helpful, but I also think that people should actually learn how to sbf and how the process works before taking shortcuts.

Just like when you do math, you should learn how to work out problems properly without skipping steps so you get a full understanding of what you are doing, and once you understand the concept you can skip steps, etc.

Of course, that's just my point of view ;)

With math though you do it that way so you can apply what you know from that to other problems. This is a one problem system. And as I see it this is the most native way to flash the SBF. Android is based on a modified linux system so flashing in linux is the 'proper' way. RSDlite is there so Windows users can do it. But I think everyone should have a linux partition so they can boot into linux and do it that way. This is just a script that automates it.

Upvote 0
With math though you do it that way so you can apply what you know from that to other problems. This is a one problem system. And as I see it this is the most native way to flash the SBF. Android is based on a modified linux system so flashing in linux is the 'proper' way. RSDlite is there so Windows users can do it. But I think everyone should have a linux partition so they can boot into linux and do it that way. This is just a script that automates it.

Don't take it so literally, it's just an example.

As long as people keep taking shortcuts and doing things without fully understanding what they are doing we will continue to see threads with "HELP!" and such in the tag line because they messed something up without fully understanding what they were doing......that is really my point.

On another note, you can't assume that people are using/want to use a Linux based system on their PCs because they do on their phones.

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
I'm wondering how difficult it would be to put the .596 SBF into this, I put mine on a flash drive, so it should be somewhat flexible for that kind of thing.
*edit* so far, no luck I ended up on stock FroYo again after adding the .596 SBF file to the portable linux USB drive. Hmm, anyway, I went for the stock OTA update and I'll see how long I can stand it without root and all those ads.... I guess if I get tired of all that, I can always SBF back and go with the two-part file and feel "normal" again...

Upvote 0
Don't take it so literally, it's just an example.

As long as people keep taking shortcuts and doing things without fully understanding what they are doing we will continue to see threads with "HELP!" and such in the tag line because they messed something up without fully understanding what they were doing......that is really my point.

On another note, you can't assume that people are using/want to use a Linux based system on their PCs because they do on their phones.

I wasn't assuming people wanted to. That's just how I feel. Similar to how you feel that everyone should learn to use RSDlite. If everyone used this method and forgot about RSDlite there would be fewer HELP threads. Most of them now are currently dealing with questions over RSDlite. I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. I was simply putting it out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones