• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Creating a bootable linux CD soley to SBF *headache free*

Yikes, I'm stuck in bootloop!

The reason, I believe, is that my home and search buttons are toast. Occasionally they will work, but not really. I finally decided to get it replaced via insurance so I wanted to sbf back to stock first.

I kinda knew this would happen, but I also knew I had to do it anyways.

I can still start my phone in boot loader so I could probably redo the flash, but I'd rather not. (Probably not relevant, but I used mac to do this)

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Yikes, I'm stuck in bootloop!

The reason, I believe, is that my home and search buttons are toast. Occasionally they will work, but not really. I finally decided to get it replaced via insurance so I wanted to sbf back to stock first.

I kinda knew this would happen, but I also knew I had to do it anyways.

I can still start my phone in boot loader so I could probably redo the flash, but I'd rather not. (Probably not relevant, but I used mac to do this)

Any ideas?

you should SBF using the .596 SBF and then to get into recovery use ADB to reboot recovery. With 596 you the volume buttons after booted into recovery

Reactions: DroidDiord
Upvote 0
i do believe that since they couldnt replace your X with another X you could have suggested a different device of equal or lessor value that they offered. but thats only an assumption.

but i think there is a new sbf file out right now, though im not sure, because p3 has stated that GB is coming for the X2 very soon and he will be working on rooting it, i imagine at least.

:(Actually, the rep. I worked with over the phone would not offer me any other phone without restarting my 2 year contract:mad:... At that point I will wait for the Bionic... I am actually quite happy with the X2 now that I had it for a while. HDMI mirror mode is awesome, and multi-tasks better than the X1. Has Froyo 2.2, so it's rootable, but unfortunately, 2.2 really does not support the dual core processor.

Plus, I only had to send back the core phone, so I gained an extra charger, USB cable, battery, bat. door, and 8gb memory card:D

Upvote 0
Do I download both links?

Amanda,

If you want to flash roms, get root, ect... you want the first link which is Froyo base.

If you want the gingerbread (non-rootable) sbf, then chose the 2nd link but note you will have to sbf again to Froyo anyhow if you want to root or do themes, mods, ect... even on gingerbread later.

Hope that makes some sense. ;)

Upvote 0
Amanda,

If you want to flash roms, get root, ect... you want the first link which is Froyo base.

If you want the gingerbread (non-rootable) sbf, then chose the 2nd link but note you will have to sbf again to Froyo anyhow if you want to root or do themes, mods, ect... even on gingerbread later.

Hope that makes some sense. ;)

It does. I'm glad I only downloaded the first one because with that alone it took an hour.
Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
I must be a really big idiot because it's not working for me.

I had issues with sfb'ing with RSD 4.9 and 5.4.4. Phone would only boot to bootloader 29.01 and nothing else.

So I downloaded the 1KDStaz0.8.iso
Droid X found.
uploading RDL03
uploading cgxx etc

Completes with no errors and boots into Linux. I never see that 2nd screen shot (flash is now complete).

Upvote 0
I must be a really big idiot because it's not working for me.

I had issues with sfb'ing with RSD 4.9 and 5.4.4. Phone would only boot to bootloader 29.01 and nothing else.

So I downloaded the 1KDStaz0.8.iso
Droid X found.
uploading RDL03
uploading cgxx etc

Completes with no errors and boots into Linux. I never see that 2nd screen shot (flash is now complete).

MBM 29.01!?!? DAAAAAMN that's like the original MBM lol. Not sure if that would cause a problem or not. Current MBM is 30.04 I believe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones