Creating Groups in GMail...I got IT!!!

Last Updated:

1. jhughes23

jhughes23 Member This Topic's Starter

If you are wondering How to make "Groups" emailing work in Gmail on the Droid...here it is...and a pain in the ass it is!!

Create a Contact with the name of your group
    Copy & Paste each persons email address that you would like in this group-
    Put each one in the SAME EMAIL BOX-
    Seperating each one with <emailaddresshere>, <emailaddresshere>,...ect...

And there you go...

Depending on how many add, this can take some time...

Advertisement
    nelhop likes this.
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I think it is a bit easier if you manage this on the Gmail side....

3. jhughes23

Ive tried, it doesn't transfer over, it says the contact has no information...

I create the group in my Gmail on my computer, add all the email addresses, name it "Work"...I then resync my contacts on my Droid and...NADA!!

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Goto phone --> contacts --> menu button --> display options --> select Google contacts --> Select the groups that you made to show (green check = show, gray check = not shown)

EDIT: Added the following

Still doesn't group them into groups, though, shows them only alphabetized....

Still, the functionality of the groups is there, just not made use of... yet.

5. jhughes23

I have followed those instructions before...With no luck

On my Contacts List in my Gmail account I have a "All Contacts" and I have a group Called "Work"...When I check them "on", on my Droid, all it does is put all of those contacts in that group in my contacts list separately, not as one contact group...I hope I'm making sense.

6. jhughes23

Goto phone --> contacts --> menu button --> display options --> select Google contacts --> Select the groups that you made to show (green check = show, gray check = not shown)

EDIT: Added the following

Still doesn't group them into groups, though, shows them only alphabetized....

Still, the functionality of the groups is there, just not made use of... yet.

Last edited by johnlgalt; Today at 06:29 PM.

Exactly...thats Why I originally posted how to actually create a Group...I have seen hundreds of people ask how to do this in numerous forums...I am hoping someone else finds a better way...such as...GOOLE...VERIZON...MOTOROLLA...SOMEBODY!!!!!

7. Darbley77

Darbley77 Well-Known Member

8. tls

tls New Member

Ok.. I have always known how to set up and make use of the groups function in my gmail. That isn't my particular issue. I just got a Moto Droid yesterday and am having the hardest time getting my contacts from my Blackberry into it. I have managed to do several things... got my contacts list from the BB into Outlook, and then imported into a group in Gmail. Good so far. I do NOT WANT ALLLLL my contacts in Gmail on my phone. I don't need them there. Is it possible to ONLY import ONE group into my Droid contacts? Or do I have to do ALL of them and then only have it show the group I want? Because to me that is just freaking STUPID. I really like the Droid and the Google stuff, but this one thing trying to get contacts transferred easily is just ticking me off! I don't have hundreds I want, but enough that doing them by hand would be a huge pain in the tookie!

I had also tried saving into a vcard file on the simcard but refuse to pay for an application that I would use one freaking time in order to do them as a group. However, even trying to move them one at a time onto a card, I tested it with 3 contacts, and while they would show up as being on the sim card for import, they would not actually import into my contacts. So that was a huge bust.

9. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member

10. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

The instructions for grouping do work from the phone app but you have to uncheck all but the individual group to see it. Too cumbersome to use. There must be a better way.

11. mawing

mawing Member

so still no solution?

display option only show which acc to sync but NOT to create groups in contact

12. nelhop

nelhop Member

To JHughes23. Your solution worked beautifully! Thanks! Solves the problem better than any of the group apps.

13. DavidSaylor

DavidSaylor New Member

I found a way to create email groups and send to them on the android gmail program.

1. Create a new "regular" contact and give it a name like "New Project Group" etc.
    2. On an email line add the first email, ending with the right arrow (>). Then put the comma and a space and start the second email with a left arrow (<) and finish it with a right arrow (>). Do this until the last email and leave the last right arrow off. Then when you create an email from this "group" the email program supplies the first and last arrow and it works!
    3. The line looks like this email1@email.com>, <email2@email.com>, <email3@email.com>, <email4@email.com
    4. Warning: You must begin from the gmail app and call up this group for it to format properly. If you start from within the contact list, and click the "email" icon, it doesn't work. (Of the two choice, I'm glad starting from the email app is the one that works!)

Note: If you are creating multiple groups to use, I found it easier to create the groups on my laptop in the regular gmail program, rather than on my tablet, but both work.