Creating the ultimate reading experience with external controller

1. Boogerwooger

Boogerwooger Member

Hi Guys,

So I got an easy chair for my birthday and now will be purchasing a Nook Color with a Levo ebook stand to hold the book in a good position so my head remains straight (I get neck pains from looking down for a long time)

LEVO Deluxe eBook and iPad Holder Floor Stand at BookHolder.com

The only problem is that I still have to use my fingers to to slide pages, and since the tablet will be hanging up in the air, this means moving my hand all the way up every time. (yes I know this isn't the hardest thing in the world, but what a joy it would be to fully rest your arms and only use your fingers to press a button that will go to another page.)

Is there any external control I can buy that will be able to reproduce control functions like tapping/sliding/scrolling, etc. on my rooted Nook Color?

A likely candidate is the "Phonejoy"
    Phonejoy Analog

Zeemote looks like another contender.

Though I have no idea as to whether it can only map keys for emulators, or anything more advanced. I'm sure that if it's keys are recognize.

----------
    One working wired solution that I did so far on my Samsung Epic was using my headset pause button to change pages. For one reading app called "Cool Reader", which makes use of "headset hook"

Curious if anyone's tried this app for the Nook Color and used it with the button controller.
    --------------------

BOTTOM LINE: I want to plant my butt in my chair and stare straight onto my elevated Nook Color, using one button to go from one page to another.

Even reading it, this seems too luxurious, but think how awesome it would be!!

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
    :
  2. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member

Not sure how much joy you'll get from the PhoneJoy or anything else that relies on Bluetooth. Bluetooth is VERY limited with the NC. Usable radius is measured in inches, not feet.

A decidedly lower tech alternative is to get a capacitative stylus or stylus/pen. I suppose you could put the rubber tip from a stylus on a pointer (or even an old telescoping car radio antenna).
  3. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I can't imagine doing this unless you have a disability limiting use of your arms/hands.

Yes, BT is flaky since it was enabled only in CM7 when the devs found the chip on the board. There is no BT support on the stock NC.
  4. Boogerwooger

Boogerwooger Member

The issue with moving hands is that if I were to have the book below my eyeline as is most common with reading, it would be simple to use my hands to turn the digital pages.

In this case, the arms have to be moved up to the eye level every time due to where the nook will be. Once again, this isn't a very big deal either but kind of annoying.

If bluetooth won't cut it for now, my only question is whether the Nook Color (or the new Nook Tablet) have "headset hook" so that a headphone mic button such as the one on the link below can be programmed to do things like flip pages. I can do this easily for "Coolreader" on my Samsung Epic after editing the system/usr/keylayout/sec_jack.kl

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/content/bose/mobile-on-ear-headset-ser2.jpg
  5. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

Have you tried the auto-scrolling features some readers have? That way, it would be a hand motion for start/stop only.

I read somewhere that the NC headphone jack is audio-only. Sorry I can't recall the source.

Since the distance you're talking about is so short, I wouldn't rule out a bluetooth keyboard if loading up Cyanogenmod is acceptable:

How to Connect Bluetooth Devices to the Nook Color - YouTube
    Boogerwooger likes this.
  6. Boogerwooger

Boogerwooger Member

It looks like I'm going ahead with a Nook Tablet, so now I'm wondering if I should make a post with just the headsethook question.

I'm gonna try out Autoscrolling!
  7. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I hope you're not expecting BT support on the NT any time soon. :D