1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Creative ideas for stopping email spam?

Last Updated:

1. ggp

ggp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help someone who'd like a way to stop email spam from reaching his Android phone. I understand this is usually best done from the email server side of things, but this is where we are right now...

This is regarding his work email, and I've suggested that he have gmail fetch it for him so they can filter it (does this work for fetching? I know it works great for emails sent directly to gmail), alas, he says he only has an imap server and no Pop3 server for gmail to fetch.

I looked in the market and found only one not terribly highly rated app for filtering email spam on Android phones.

Can anyone tell me if you've found a way to solve this issue, or if you've tried that email filtering app, and if it worked for you?

Thanks a TON for any ideas!!!

Advertisement
  2. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I don't know what can be done to prevent spam from getting there, once it's already started. I'd recommend either creating a separate account for things like registration at a website (knowing full well they'll sell it off and spam that account), or create another one to get pushed to the phone, and stop monitoring the current one.

3. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I have a specific account for signing up for loyalty cards and the like. I don't give friends and family this addy. Solely reserved for non-credit card email sign ups.

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Mailroute.info might also be helpful

ggp likes this.
  5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Who's hosting his server? I'd seriously bitch at them if the spam is that bad.

6. droidx_fan

droidx_fan Well-Known Member

I would think you'd want this to get done at the source. Most decent providers have something like Postini available as an option, often at a small additional fee, sometimes built into the price. Outlook has a built in junk mail filter that works "kind of okay". I wouldn't think you'd want an app running on the phone, just another operation to bog things down and suck up battery life.

The other suggestion of getting a yahoo, gmail or whatever account to use with things that generate spam is one of the most effective. I started doing that a few years ago and it cut down the spam on my business domain account substantially. When the other account starts getting bogged down too much, I just sign up for a new one. No big deal since they're free.

7. ggp

I appreciate everyone's input, and while I agree 100% with you, this gentleman is a customer of mine, who is holding his cell provider responsible for his spam, not his email hosting service. I'm desperate to try to help him... but I know he's going to yell at me more when I call him back without a good answer :(

8. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I think you're best off explaining to him who really is responsible for the problem.

9. RyanB

RyanB Guest

ggp likes this.
  10. ggp

Thanks again everyone for your ideas, I'm going to tell him about Mailroute and Spamdrain, hopefully in the meantime he's figured out to talk to his hosting service.

11. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Let me know how you make out

12. ggp

I took the chicken way out and emailed him those ideas... hopefully there won't be an angry email waiting when I get in next!