Credit Card request for free Apps?General

Last Updated: 2012-12-27 05:13:33
  1. SipDude

SipDude Well-Known Member

Just got a Kindle Fire 2nd Gen running 10.2.4 out of the box. I know Ugh. My G/F gave it to me for Christmas so I had to look excited.

I've looked to see what can be done to getting Root and a full Google Play store on there but from what I've read nothing seems to be rock solid yet.

Well I've got a different problem. I walked through the initial setup etc. OK that went OK. Completely Stock. I figured well at least I can download some of the FREE apps from the Amazon store. Well anytime I try to do that they want a credit card #. Uhhh... They are free!

For one, I don't own a credit card. So how do I enter one in???

Signed - Stuck with a useless paperweight.:(

All replies welcome!

Advertisement
  2. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

You should be able to use either a credit or debit card with amazon but as far as I know you can't make an account with them unless you do have one or the other.
  3. SipDude

I can't believe Amazon/Kindle works that way. I have a smart-phone with Metro PCS, I pay cash for the bill each month and can d/l all the Apps I want, no credit card required. I also have an older sort-of smart-phone that is no longer tied to a carrier but can still use open Wi-Fi signals to d/l free apps through the store.

Question:

If I can get this ROOTED and get the Full Google Play Store installed will this Kindle be like be like my phone? Meaning I won't need a credit card? Do I need to use the Kindle Store or can I just use the Google Store.

Thanks in all advance.
  4. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

If your rooted you dont need the amazon app store at all, thought it does have a free app each day, which is a nice feature.
    Unfortunately though you do need a credit card even for the free apps from amazon, we discovered this last christmas. (prepaid is what I ended up recording to the account)

Honestly if you can root it go ahead and do it, it opens up a whole new world to you. Wish I had done mine a lot sooner
  5. SipDude

So if I root this, I (Won't need) a credit/debit card?If yes: Can someone point me to a valid working Root for the Kindle Fire 2nd Gen running 10.2.4. I can't stress that everything I have seen is not a working solution thus far. Is 10.2.4 a new update that has made rooting that much harder???I appretiate this forum, thanks again to all in advance! :)
  6. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

7. SipDude

Looking at the link in Drogyn's post, I have not gotten all that far here...

2. Root and Super User
    This tells you to goto a link to install Root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35156970

This link takes you to an article that tells you to use two tools found here and to use Normal method with the first tool found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460

This link yet tells you to download the "Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18" file by clicking yet another link that takes you to a file share located at Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry….7z (4,14 MB) - uploaded.to

However that site is in another language and only wants to download a java script and not a .7z/zip file.

Where have I gone wrong?

I've also looked for the Kindle "ADB" Drivers for Windows 7 and had no luck in locating ones that work. Don't I have to install those before doing anything?

Who thought rooting a Kindle Fire would be harder than passing the VMWARE 4.0 exam?!

Anyone? Help?!