1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Crying out for a good contact list.

Last Updated:

1. Hairy Weasel

Hairy Weasel Member This Topic's Starter

I for one would pay for a full feature contact list.
    I have acontacts and star contacts and both help but neither does everything I need.
    I have also tried every other contact app I could find on the market place.

Nothing so far has even come close to the functionality and ease of use of my MS based HP palm top.
    I have over 500 phone numbers that break down in to about 20 groups.
    In the 20 groups there are around 300 different businesses.
    150 different contacts for different sports and activities and about 50 friends and family.

Now I can search by group but one of the groups has 200 people in it and you only see their name and not the company name and I cant remember who works were.
    I can search by organization/company but that brings up around 300 different companies/ organizations.
    With star contacts I can search for key words in either the persons name or the company name but that requires the correct spelling and is no good for flicking through the list.

My palm top on the other hand has the perfect system.
    Open the contacts and you can see everyone in the list by either name or hit the filter for company.
    it has the letters a to z so by hitting B it will only show names or companies beginning with B.
    you can narrow this down further by a a to z search of a specific group again for either the persons name or the company.

As an example.
    I need the phone number for Tom Bradley at Eriks who are one of my suppliers.
    If I know the name of the person I just open the suppliers group and open T and scroll down to Tom.
    If I know it is someone at Eriks but cant remember the name I hit suppliers and hit the company tab followed by E and scroll to Eriks. Once I open Eriks I have 3 names to chose from and that refreshes my memory that it is tom that I need to talk to.

It works well for very large companies as well.
    I do a lot of work for a big utility company so I have a group just for that company and in the sub catagory of company I put the site name and under the site name I break it down in to the site opperators (anything from 1 to 5 people).

The final thing is tha tthe program defaults to the last used setting so in my case it opens up to the utility company group displaying the company/site name with the easy A to Z search as that is what I use 90% of the time.

I know all of this can be done using the 3 programs that I use but it is very unwieldy swapping between programs and scrolling down large lists of people.
    If any programmers are reading this and have not fallen assleep yet just take a look at the outlook based contact list that is on windows mobile 5 and 6 palm tops and get cracking.
    I think that a lot of people would be willing to part with a little hard earned for a simelar thing on the droid.

Advertisement
  2. Murf300

Murf300 New Member

I would pay for something like this as well. I was using Star Contact which was acceptable while not perfect. However, when I upgraded my Sprint Hero from 1.5 to 2.1 it no longer works correctly. I search for a person, their contact comes up but, when I select it, another contact actually opens up. Any suggestions?

3. dazek

dazek Well-Known Member

ive posted a connected thread about contacts - while ive just left my last job - I had 1500 contacts to manage - with the android system it would have been impossible to manage with companies shown. I managed fine with windows mobile.

Now i'm trying to 'hide' those contacts on my phone as I dont need them at the mo and cant seem too!

4. Blk02

Blk02 Member

The company directory is still not working in Android 2.2 at least on my EVO 4G. But the good news is that you dont need it to work. There is a better way. I kept thinking that Google was supposed to be the king of searching, so I could not accept the fact that you cannot atleast search by company name. After doing some digging I found out a way to find contacts by company name.

Press the "+" sign next to "Phone" on your home screen then select "Widgets" next select "Google Search" then select "People" and place the search bar on your home screen. Now you can search your contacts by name, company, number, etc. You can select the contact and see the full contact info for that individual and dial the number from there. You can also have the search pull up related email, texts, etc. when you search for the individuals name.

5. MJI

MJI Member

Forgive me for the dumb questions, (I'm still learning droid/google after living and loving my Palm OS for many years), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my company names INTO my google contact list. I have over 2300 contacts, and more than half are companies. I dont' want to move the company name to the last_name field, but do I have a choice? Is there a contact app that will sync with Google Contacts?

6. Murf300

Murf300 New Member

When you enter contact information go down to the bottom and select "Add". There are a list of items that you can add. Under "Other" select "Organization". That is the label offered for company.

7. MJI

MJI Member

thank you. that is true, the company name does gets inserted into a 'company name' field, but it does not show up on any list (in google OR my Samsung Captivate). A very unhelpful -Unnamed- appears in each Last Name field. With over 800 Business records, I'd like to find a way to import the data and preserve every field.

- Mary-Jeanine