Cupcake? Donut? I'm hungry...

Last Updated:

1. slovig

slovig New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, what's up? I am currently using a jailbroken iPhone on Tmo. I am about 4 days away from getting either the MyTouch or the G1, only problem is, I can't decide which one to get first. I'm a CS Major, so I'm teaching myself Android, and the whole ADP1 is very appealing to myself, only right now, I have no idea about rooting and custom OS's. Which is leading me to the MyTouch, not only because of the form factor, but I know I can still develop apps for it, and I have read some blogs about the MyTouch being root-able and what not. I just have a few questions, with either phone, if something goes wrong, is there a fail safe option? Like with the iPhone, how you can just do a full restore. Also, does anyone have any links to a good reference on how to root the MyTouch? From what I've read, a Cyan Rom is the best one to put on? But I have no idea what that means.

Thanks,

-Jesse

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Regarding your question ... I would say that rooting for cyanogen is on a hold at the moment and we are waiting to see the new delivery system ... I have confidence that it will work out..

Recovery 1.4 has a means to backup and restore complete builds.

I would recommend reading through both of the guides in my signature to get a feel how Rooting and UnRooting has been done... I DO NOT recommend doing them at the moment ... because not all the needed files are currently available through the links in the guides ,,, due to current C & D order from Google ...

Also can say do a TAG Search for 'root' on this site and you will find plenty of threads on the benefits, mishaps, and woes that can manifest itself during rooting.

3. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Welcome to the forums! :)

4. slovig

slovig New Member This Topic's Starter

Alright cool, thanks for the info. I was looking into the comparison specs of both phones, and it seems like they are basically the same, besides the physical aspects such as weight, size, and lack of keyboard on the MyTouch. I think I'll just get the MyTouch for now. Really it's just that my iPhone is starting to die, and I don't plan on doing any heavy rooting aspects to the phone right away. All I need is for it to be able to run the apps I make, which I know it can. If I do feel like going more in depth in the development aspects, I can always get the ADP1 to use strictly for developing, and not having to worry about anything going wrong with my main phone.