Cupcake, doughnut, new ROMS.... explain please!!

Last Updated:

1. brittas

brittas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm just trying to get my head round all this. I've currently got a Hero/G2 and I'm waiting for Tmobile to release the new ROM.

I understand this will take the Build number from 1.xxxxxxxxx to 2.xxxxxxxxxx

So the firmware version is 1.5 which is cupcake??? And that won't change when the new ROM comes out.

So what is Doughnut? 1.6 I understand. And will we (Hero users) ever get this? If it's out now, how come the phone didn't come with it?

Do any phones come with Doughnut?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to get my head round it all!

Advertisement
  2. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Donut has not been officially been released but there are cooked up ROMS that are comprised of a lot of the components Donut will feature. Have you rooted your phone yet?

3. brittas

brittas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

No I don't fancy rooting it just yet. Maybe one day.

So I'm guessing new Android phones will start to use Doughnut. Will it ever "officially" be available for my Hero.... without rooting?

4. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Absolutely. It "should" be available officially very seen. Donut is simply a newer branch of Android development. Google has seemingly gone the pastry route when naming their development branches. So, right now everyone has Cupcake. Donut is coming next. And supposedly Eclair will be after that.