Cupcake Has Arrived

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

It is only a matter of time before we get to freely chomp on Android’s delicious cupcake development branch which includes a software keyboard, video recording, support for widget extension, UI upgrades and bug fixes among other things. But as far as the Android Robot and Google Campus are concerned… Cupcake has already arrived:If [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Well-Known Member

HAHAHA that's freaking ridiculous...good one

3. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

damn that cupcakes looks delicious

4. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Lol...you almost had me there!

Good one!

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

6. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Is it really THAT big of a deal that people call it a release instead of a development branch?

7. punkzanyj

how can a message be communicated without accuracy? Might as well just call every phone an iPhone, if accuracy doesn't matter.

8. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Can't argue that...

But to have to say "cupcake development branch" every single time is a bit of a mouthful...

I'd like to think the majority of the people on this forum (at least the regulars) understand that cupcake isn't actually an update itself...

It's just easier to call it an update....less letters to type all the time...lol...

9. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

CDB works for me :cool:

10. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

You'd probably get a lot of people asking what that means as well...meaning you'd have to type it out in full anyway...

11. justjimjpc

LOL I try not to use the "C" word ... I do think there is a lot of confusion about what it represents, what it includes?, if it is coming?, when is it coming?, you name it and I think "C" has been over-used and mistaken for what ever the people wanted to believe...

I also think that the mixing of the terms release, update, OTA, "C" updates, etc usually can be taken as some incremental amount of what Google has in its Roadmap of improvements/fixes. I think, the Roadmap in total is called "Cupcake" and everything else is just pieces of that Roadmap.

12. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

I call it Android 1.5....because that's what it will be called....

I think that the majority probably don't actually understand what a road map is...(Apart from the ones that are used to drive from place-to-place..)

That's where the confusion comes in...

People see a list of new features that will be released....and it's automatically taken as an update...

Going by that logic...it might be a good idea to call it...

Cupcake: First Bite
    Cupcake: Second Bite
    Cupcake: Third Bite
    ....(increments and such...)
    Cupcake: Final Bite...

Ok..that last part was me being stupid...sorry...I'll be serious from now on..

13. justjimjpc

Remember the famous "Roadmaps" for peace in the Middle East ... It is/was a plan with many parts ....

this current Google RoadMap for Android is a game plan of what they have in their plans to fix known issues and additional features that where not ready for primetime on the initial offering of the G1 to the public.

14. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Tell that to the people who don't understand what a roadmap is....

In fact...you should C+P that every time someone makes the cupcake mistake.. =P

15. justjimjpc

Personally, I don't care if people make mistakes in their refence to it ... unless they ask what it means or what is the difference ...

They can use either word .... makes no difference to me ... I understand the dif !!! :cool: :rolleyes:

16. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

I understand the difference too...

And I don't mind people saying "update" instead of "development branch"...

It's not going to affect me in any way.. =P

17. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Lol...

So what's your take on the whole "update/development branch" controversy?

18. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

Seriously. To me, its an update. Whether its a series of updates, its still an update.

I just want my new features, gimmie gimmie gimmie

19. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Lol...I guess you can blame me for starting this whole thing....

Sorry...

20. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

The antidote? ???

21. justjimjpc

OOOOOH NO he had to ask !!!!! :eek:

22. punkzanyj

It's not hairsplitting, it's a fundamentally different thing. That's like saying "I bought Toyota Motor Corporation" when you actually meant "I bought a Rav4" or saying "I'm going to the grocery store to get PepsiCo, Incorporated" when actually you're just picking up a six pack of Mountain Dew.

An update is an improvement/bug fix/new features. A development branch is a part of the company that works on said "updates".

It's kinda like saying "oh did you get Microsoft Development Branch?" every time there's a Windows Update. They're not sending you the department, they're sending you features and fixes(in MS's case, it's mostly fixes and rarely features).

Using the word "cupcake" is inaccurate. The entire department working on fixes and features isn't being sent to our phones. Nor are all of the fixes and features being sent to our phones all at once.

For example, let's say we get an update that has the onscreen keyboard and a few other odds and ends....and then six months down the line they release another update that has full bluetooth features and then 6 months from there we get the video recorder --- which one is "cupcake"? If someone asks "how do I get cupcake?" what are they referring to? If someone says "I have cupcake!" which one are they talking about? Does anyone know?

Using "cupcake" to refer to the next update isn't very helpful. It's highly unlikely this next update will have all the items on the current cupcake docket. Emphasis on the word "current" as we all know that Google doesn't give up development of their products, the CDB(Cupcake Development Branch) will probably have more things added to their list as time goes by.

The term "Cupcake" is too ambiguous and vague to be of any use at this point. When it first came out, we thought it meant ONE update that's going to fix everything and add all these new goodies. We've since learned that "Cupcake" is just a branch, not a release, not an update, and there's going to be more than one update from them.

Calling it 1.5, or Bite One, Vanilla, or something that is more concrete is the best option.

23. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

^ Wow... that is true passion for Android and Cupcake.

24. justjimjpc

NOPE !! :rolleyes:

25. justjimjpc

Help !! Help !!! "I am down here now .... throw me a rope !!! " Please !!:p