Cured my 3G connection problems

1. morski

morski New Member

Bit of a long winded one......

Had my Android phone for about 4 months now, it's a Samsung Galaxy Apollo running Android 2.1

Ever since I have had this phone it has suffered from constantly losing the 3g signal if I'm using data, it will have a signal for a couple of minutes when the data is working fine, suddenly the data will stop flowing, and a few seconds later the 3g data connection will drop, promptly followed by actual signal then I get the 'No Service' Icon for about 10 seconds before the signal re-appears and finally the data 3G/H icon re-appears after about 30 seconds and the whole thing repeats this again and again and again for as long as I'm trying to use data on the phone.

My service provider is 3UK and I had put it down to a network problem with them, even though in my old Sony Ericsson C902 it seemed to be fine. A few weeks ago I decided it was time to leave 3UK because of this problem and thought I would give a network called giffgaff a try, I manually entered the APN settings for giffgaff and all seemed fine for about 2 minutes until the above problem started again! So by now I'm really thinking it's a problem with the phone and not the networks.

After messing around with giffgaff I found an app in the market call giffgaff APN, on this app there was an option to delete all other APN's and just leave giffgaffs APN in, this I did and suddenly no disconnections! Browsed for hours without any disconnections, so that got me thinking! I restored the default APN list on the phone and just added giffgaffs APN to the APN list. As soon as I did this it was straight back to disconnecting every couple of minutes as described above.

Once again this got me thinking, I put the 3 sim card back in the phone and again I deleted all the APN's from the phone using an app called APN Manager apart from the 3UK APN's. For the first time since I've had the phone it worked on 3! Not one disconnection, just to be sure I reset the APN list once more to the default APN's and sure enough, within about 30 seconds this time it dropped the connection.

I'm not sure why having the full list of APN's in the phone would be causing it to keep dropping the signal but it definately appears to be the case, so if anyone else is getting a similar problem with a Samsung Galaxy Apollo it might be worth giving this a try, it worked for me!

Has anyone got any ideas why leaving all the other APN's in the phone would cause the disconnecting problem?

Edit: It seems this has NOT cured the connection problems, the phone is still doing it so it does appear to either be a network thing around here or the phone?

Advertisement