• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Curious about apps marketing

deltaforce

Android Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2012
Hello folks,

This question is just out of curiosity. There are many apps offering lite and pro version, usually lite version has limitations PLUS advertising.

So my question is, how much developers earn out of advertising? One of the recent articles on the web testing battery consumption came to the conclusion that apps with advertisements suck up a lot of battery, so some users (say, like me) may want to avoid such apps. If the developers are aware of this problem and earning enough though advertisements, why not offer fully featured app WITH advertisements and ask user to PAY to get rid of advertisements.
Secondly, instead of offering lite version, why not offer full version for a period to test all features and then it goes lite after that period if not purchased? Majority of PC apps come with this feature.

I apologize if it sounds silly but I am not a developer so don't know how business works in this area, just curious.

Thanks for the comments.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones