curious about sprint & svc?

Last Updated:

1. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

basically, looking at the evo 4 but one concern, i left sprint about 2000 after 3 years - noticed back then, that every 3-5 months i'd find a long distance call billing error (a number that i knew i hadn't called) and would spend 30 -45 minutes going thru electronic menus to get to a CSR in billing

finally dropped them

has their customer svc times dropped or gotten better? any issues with customer svc (carrier i'm with now is absolutely great and been with them since leaving sprint - will hate to leave them but the evo is just an attractive phone

tks in advance

Advertisement
  2. polkadots

polkadots Well-Known Member

They have gotten MUCH better. Especially since Hesse took over Sprint has made a concerted effort to improve CS and the impression that the general public has about them. He has busted his ass to improve the company's brand. They are much better, and I don't think you'll have any issues with them, IF you have to deal with them.

3. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

I have had PERFECT experiences with them EVERY time I have called. Three or four times in last year for various things. I have taken ALL of my ATT business to other companies for this various reason. I am not a pain in the butt but expect customer service to be good when I spend money with someone. I havent had cable tv due to problems 15 years ago, wont deal with a certain credit card company due to these problems. So rest assured, I am very picky in this regard and LOVE Sprint for this reason. And they are cheaper and about to have the EVO. Love them enough to look into selling their products as a source for some extra info cause I believe in the product so much.

Not sure about the other carriers, so they may be just as good?

kwaping likes this.
  4. nx25

nx25 Well-Known Member

You're going to get a lot of biased answers here, since most of us are Sprint customers and trying to recruit more users so they stay in business... But with that being said, Sprint is excellent. (haha :). but seriously, they are) Their frustrations with customer support have gotten a lot better. Their service is excellent in all the places I've been (but I spend most of my time in cities and suburbs). And their plans are definitely the most affordable.

I've heard a lot of bad things about AT&T service. Verizon is good. Haven't heard too much about T-Mobile. But I'm sure if you ask any of them about Sprint they will tell you how awful Sprint is and how you'll be nothing but disappointed. Their answers are even more biased against Sprint than mine is for Sprint.

I guess you'll have to try it out and see. My guess is you'll be very satisfied.

5. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Well-Known Member

Personally, I have been with sprint for about 8 or 9 years and honestly their customer service has been all over the place when it came to my personal experiences. At one point it came to where I would absolutely not step one foot into a sprint store, I would rather deal with them over the phone or thoughr e-care but recently I have nothing but good things to say about them. For example, a few months ago I had to go into a sprint store on behalf of my girlfriend and I was amazed at how well I was treated. I mean seriously, I was very impressed. Sprint is definitely taken the right steps as far as customer service goes. Now as far as service, I have never had any issues with their actual service, my phones have worked where ever I have travelled too in the U.S and U.S. territories. Also alot of people may not realize that sprint does have that 30 day guarantee, so if you don't like sprint for any reason they will give you back your money, thats not a bad deal at all.

6. larryccf

appreciate the responses - i'm currently with Tmo and svc is great as well as quick time to get a CSR on the phone (ie no wait) - literally last week had to call in on a friday night and expected a wait, but there was none

and i remembered what i did before moving to Tmo - i called in to their svc line 3-4 times just to see how long it took to get a human voice on the line

good to hear sprint appears to have turned that around - think i'll give them a few test calls to see what my wait times show to be

tks for the reponses

7. ajac09

ajac09 Banned

with my personal experience with sprint:

0 issues
    they fix my problems asap
    treat me well
    heck even free phones cant beat them!

8. tokuzumi

tokuzumi Well-Known Member

I started with Nextel, back in 2001. Used to be a call center rep for Nextel. I had a few issues with Sprint when I changed from my Nextel phone, to a Sprint phone. They couldn't seem to activate a certain plan on my phone. I had to call back the next day, and get it all taken care of.

But, I've had some really great experiences with their customer care. About 2 years ago, my sister-in-law used her phone in Mexico.....a lot. Like $2000 in overages, a lot. She was on the free incoming plan. I called, and was going to ask about getting a reduction on the per minute overages. But the CSR noticed the phone was on a free incoming plan (most of the minutes were incoming). He put me on hold for about 10 min total (5 minutes at a time). And they credited every dollar of those overages back to my account. Technically, they shouldn't have done that. So, Sprint basically gave me $2K, for a 10 min call.

But, I have noticed a huge difference in cust serv from 2007, when I first got my Treo, to now.

9. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

I too, must chime in and say that Sprint has gotten worlds better. But to make your CS experience even more solid, go hop over to SprintUsers.com and participate over there. There are some CSRs who are regulars on that board and help folks out all the time. Another handy tip is that they have listings of the various department phone numbers, so if you have a serious issue, you can do things like contacting Executive Services straight away. It's been invaluable in making my Sprint experience satisfactory.

10. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

the only time i have ever had a problem was when i got a palm pixi for my grandmother and the thing didnt work at all... it wasnt really there fault they had to follow procedure but i needed a higher lvl tech support and they just cant move u up

11. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Yeah, they were pretty horrible for a while but thankfully I rarely dealt with them and never had all the mystery overage issues. Since Hesse came in things have improved drastically but publicly they have had a hard time shedding their image.

They are still a telco and someone in the store or online or on the phone may still frustrate you but I find it's no longer really bad with them but rather in line with what you expect from any big company...occasionally you will get someone who doesn't give a crap but for the most part they are a lot more helpful company to deal with these days.

12. chum1600

chum1600 Well-Known Member

The only problem I ever had with sprint was last year when I bought my BB Tour. I called sprint at 1202 the night it came out to make sure that I could get the phone first. I placed my order and got a confirmation and everything, but when I woke up the that morning around 9 my order was gone. It took sprint about 3 days to figure out what happened, but as soon as they did an account executive called me who reports directly to Dan.

He explained to me what happened which didn't make me feel any better until he told me that for my trouble sprint was going to give me the phone for half price with no MIR and overnight air shipping as soon as they had more to ship.

I was mad that I didn't get my phone at first, but I was happy that they took the time to figure out what happened to me and several others.

Everytime I have had anything with my bill I call them and if they have made a mistake they take care of it right away.

The best part that I like about Sprint is if I call for support or billing questions I get someone in the states that I can understand.

13. Clock

Clock Well-Known Member

When I went to set up my SERO account three years ago, it was a big pain in the ass, BUT... that was a bit of an anomaly for a CSR to take care of. The whole thing took about three hours to get set up. Sucked, but not a huge problem. And that was three years ago, I believe before they revamped all of their customer service.

Here's the key thing for me - since then, I haven't had to call Sprint once.

I'm definitely of the mind that customer service isn't a big deal as long as they can work with you and that you don't anticipate realistically having to work with them frequently.

I would say it's not a problem.

14. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I have had MANY bad experiences with various companies over the last few years. My rule is: it doesn't hatter what happened or how it happened, but how you are going to fix the problem.

Every company will have problems. You might buy something that's broken or doesn't work. You may pay someone to do a job but it is done wrong. In the case of cell phone companies, you may have a phone that stopped working, or maybe your bill is wrong. Point is, these things are going to happen. How the company deals with these issues, and how quickly they are dealt with, is what makes a good company.

That being said, I have been with sprint since 2000. I have had a few problems, one of them a major problem back in 2004. I was very dissappointed in how they dealt with it (or didn't deal with it), and it lasted over 3 months, with me driving to various stores and spending hours on the phone. I promised myself I would switch carriers when my contract was up, but for some reason I decided to stay. I'm glad I did. The customer service has gotten WAY better in the last few years. Every little issue with billing I've had has been taken care of immediately, with no questions asked. The last phone I ordered over the phone, I was given an automatic $150 dollar discount without even asking, and got free overnight shipping. I also had a problem last year, with a company calling my cell phone and using all my minutes, causing me to go WAY over my limit. I called sprint and explained the situation, and they took off all the overages, even though it wasn't even their fault at all.

15. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I'm on ATT waiting for Evo for me and Moment w/Android 2.1 or Moment2 for my wife. While waiting, I've researched online and asked several people who have Sprint. For those who've had problems, they've consistently said Sprint's getting better but still has some issues with consistency in CSR knowledge and resolution. But they also seem to be describing at least attempts by Sprint reps to resolve issues.

By contrast, I get mostly "tough luck" tales from ATT. They're quick to sell new phones and plans, but have rarely resolved an issue to my complete satisfaction. In addition, they treat me as a long-time customer (almost 15 years) like nothing special. At least Sprint offers Premier to long-term and high-value customers.

Fortunately, choosing one-rate type plans makes the billing issue infrequent for me. But I can't stand not getting straight answers on why I live less than 3 miles from a service center with an extensive tower presence yet don't get good signal. Their answer always seems to be "buy this new phone with a better antenna." If I complain about my cable service signal, they don't tell me to buy a new TV or new DVR.

If you do move to Sprint as I plan to, just know that your experience compared to ATT will be at least as good and a much better dollar value.

16. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

They have great CS, I have been with them since 2001 (except for 2 years when my company provided a phone) Every time I called for an issue, it was solved right away, they also sometimes give a little extra to keep the customer happy. My brother switched to ATT (from Sprint) for the i-phone and tells me their CS is no comparison.

17. larryccf

good to hear the positive comments, makes me a little easier to transit away from Tmo's svc, but they don't have the phone i want

on AT&T, my brother-in-law is with them, and so's a close friend, and both literally howl in anger when i ask about "has AT&T gotten any better", so enough said there

18. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

I tried Sprint once a long time ago (about 10 years). This is when they were primarily PCS based and their indoor coverage sucked. I've been with AT&T/Cingular/AT&T since. I haven't been with Sprint since they moved to CDMA but with the roaming on Verizon I'm hoping overall coverage is much better now. As a long time AT&T customer I've been trained to pretty much never call CS so I'm not sure if that will be an issue positive or negative for me.

Sprints pricing is certainly very attractive.