Curious thoughtGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm wondering just how many HTC/Verizon devs come here and see what we are doing with like root and such so they can come up with ways to prevent us from rooting.. just wondered

Advertisement
  2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Zero. We would certainly sniff them out and taunt them extensively.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I hate to tell you this, but I'm..

..just kidding. :D

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

They obviously know that rooting happens; they obviously try to make it as difficult as possible. I do not blame them a bit, as trying to support a particular handset is a lot easier if everybody has the same OS and settings. They don't really need to come to this forum in particular; honestly, they'd probably learn more at xda-developers forums (and that is not a knock on androidforums, but xda gets a lot more activity about rooting.)

That said, unless there is some sort of emergency security issue, I think that HTC and Verizon are done with updating the Eris, so I wouldn't worry too much about the Eris.

5. DaveDragon

DaveDragon Active Member

I thought CaddyMan was with Verizon? :D Where is he now? :confused:

6. xx_bishop_xx

Ever since he bought that '72 Licoln Town Car, I hardly ever see him around here anymore. ;)

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Wrong user name. His user name is now '72 Lincoln Town Car, I heard somewhere recently.

8. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

Interesting thought, I would think that aside from voiding your warranty VZW really wouldn't care if your phone is rooted. You are still access their network and presumably paying your bill.

HTC on the other hand would care and probably really lock it down more than they have to prevent it. As soon as I rooted I got rid of senseUI. Not that I don't like it but it prevented an app from working.

IMO

9. smacky

smacky Banned

I think VZW would worry about it more than HTC. HTC isn't providing the service the phone is providing. You can get free calls, texting, apps, etc. if you know the right places. HTC just might worry about their code getting out, but then they also release it publicly on their site. VZW is the one that alters Android to fit their phones as well as their services. Then they put their own crap on there.

Since a lot of us want to take out Visual Voicemail, Amazo MP3, etc., they should be more worried about us straying from the parameters they've set for the phone's operation.

There's nothing they can do. Modifying your phone is legal. It just voids your warranty.

10. xx_bishop_xx

Very nicely done.

11. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

Ok smacky point taken. However you don't need root to send free text or make free calls. I'm not trying to argue with you, I just was sharing my opinion, but either way good point.