• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Curious..who's SF now wields a scratch or crack :(

gingergirl

Sep 12, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
"Peeping Tom's" misfortune of his cracked screen has got me wondering...

Many of us are approaching our one-month anniversary of having our SF's... so maybe there have been some unfortunate occurrences of dropping their phone.. or having a nasty encounter with something in their pocket, or bag/purse...??

I'm curious just HOW sturdy the gorilla glass is.... please share your story..I'd love to hear the really GREAT news (like it got dropped.. but it was unscathed) as well as the "not so great"...

mine is still perfect....but as soon as i ordered my SF i went to the stealthguards.com site and ordered the front and back protector...it's $2.85 shipped (same exact thing as the Zagg InvisibleShield but like $23 less lol), well worth it. it makes the phone a little less slippery and also protects it from scratching

what it doesn't do is protect it from droppage. mine stays in my holster or if it comes out it's because i am sitting down for a meeting or at my desk and it's going straight from holster to desk

im just anal about being careful with it...

Upvote 0
i know it's NOT a fascinate but it's still the same screen.

YOU. What're you doing here?! Boys, we got another outsider, get the torches and pitchforks! :p

Actually answering the question.. First I had a hard case on, now a Zagg shield (just on the back), so the back's protected. The screen is perfect so far, though I've had a couple scares ("DANGIT I knew I should've cover- oh..it rubs off.."). Still nervous that I'm on borrowed time though, so I've been stalking SGP via their website and Twitter.

Upvote 0
LOL, why do i suddenly feel like the frankenstein monster?!?!?! i do have a fascinate also, but there are no scratches or marks on the screen. actually, i've stopped using it due to the 'buried' power button, went back to the Droid X, waiting on a replacement for the fascinate but verizon is telling me they are backordered.

Upvote 0
Somewhat related, someone dropped an iPhone 3GS right in front of me on the subway a few days ago and the screen shattered with shards everywhere. It kinda did a faceplant and then a corner flip so I didn't know which one did it in. I cringed and held onto my Fascinate with greater love. :)

Upvote 0
Somewhat related, someone dropped an iPhone 3GS right in front of me on the subway a few days ago and the screen shattered with shards everywhere. It kinda did a faceplant and then a corner flip so I didn't know which one did it in. I cringed and held onto my Fascinate with greater love. :)
A guy at work dropped his iPhone... same thing... shards everywhere... poor guy.....
I'm dragging my heels getting the screen protector and case....I love the way everything feels now... I have the stuff picked out... but..... :eek:... hmmm. Still frolicking in Polly Anna Strawberry Fields Forever.....

Upvote 0
If you love how your screen feels (as do I and many others) just wait for the SGP or whoever makes the Steinhill ultra crystal screen protectors. Those are amazing. Feel just like the gorilla glass. Don't get the anti-glare ones though!! Rubbery just like the Zaggs.

All right, I just checked and now I'm insulted, as should we ALL be!!!

SGP Steinheil Ultra Series Samsung Epic 4g Screen Protector [Ultra Crystal]

They got it for the Epic??? I can't believe they've sold more Epics on Sprint than Fascinates on Verizon .... I would imagine that we're just around the corner, though. $14 and you get TWO, plus the lifetime warranty. Just make sure that if you like the glass feel, get the ultra crystal!

Upvote 0
My wife and I have the fascinates with the verizon high gloss silicone case and no screen protectors. We tried the anti-glare but could barely slide your finger across the face, dulled the screen and it smudged up faster than the bare screen ever did and wouldn't clean. Guess I have oily fingers.:eek: We love the look of the screen, one of the reasons we bought the phones, so why cover it up?

On topic, I dropped mine while taking it out of my pocket and it fell 3+ feet onto a tile floor. After my panic attack, :eek: I picked it up and it was fine, not a mark on it anywhere. Guess I'm more of a risk taker than many on these forums but we like the "real" screen and verizon's insurance is way to expensive for two fascinates so we'll take our chances and really enjoy our phones. :D

Upvote 0
I have two sets of marks I've gotten in the past month. One I got 2-3 days in. The other set of 3 inchlong marks I got about a week or so in. The latter I got from dropping my phone (fried chicken greased hands + smooth rounded SF = inevitable slippage). Dunno how I got the former. They can only be seen w/ the screen off and at an angle, so it doesn't bother me most of the time.

I keep it in a separate pocket and on the desk or tabletop all the time. I just hope these are two freak accidents, and I don't acquire more.

Hell. I had my Moto Q since release until the SF came out and didn't get so much as dust under the screen.

Upvote 0
I was too worried about the screen not to buy a protector. I hate giving Verizon their bloated profit margins but I couldn't walk out of the store without the gloss silicone cover and a screen protector.

As a side annoyance, when I was putting the Verizon screen protector on I noticed that it doesn't cover entire screen (i.e. home buttons and earpiece) just the viewing screen. I thought they had given me the wrong protectors. I took it back to the store and the guys there laughed at me like it was weird that I wanted to protect the entire screen of my smartphone.....not happy. I still bought them knowing that if I left the store without them I'd drop it and scratch it. Then I'm stuck for two years with a scratched phone.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, haven't dropped it yet. I threw my LG Dare around like it was rented and it was kinda hard to get back into the mindset of being careful with my phone. LOL.

Cuda

Upvote 0
Well....I'm coming up on three months since I posted this... and I'm still sporting my SF totally naked and free of (frantically searching for wood to knock on...) a scratch or flaw of any kind... no screen protector... nothing... Still love that comment someone made... that the SF can be likened to be as slippery as a watermelon seed... I love that!!

I treat my SF like a baby... I've never dropped a baby to date... so I'm one for one..

Upvote 0
Three words.

Best. Skins. Ever.

When my daughter and I got our SF's, I offered to buy her a BSE screen protector when I ordered mine. She declined, saying that her last screenie fogged out and she preferred the look and feel of the naked screen...

Fast forward one month... My SF is covered with a BSE screen skin, and a TPU case. It's flawless, and will stay that way until I sell it. The BSE's are like the crystal ones, totally clear, no glare, fog or haze. And they cover the entire screen all the way up to the case bezel.

My daughter's SF now has a 1" crevice (this thing is not a crack, it's a mini grand canyon!) right down the center of her screen. Bad, bad stuff. Being her father I was not going to be a douche and ask her how her screen "feels" now, but I did make a comment about it's shame she didn't take me up on my offer of a free protector. She has insurance on the phone, and quite frankly, I expect it to be dropped or cracked within 6 months anyways, and she'll get a new or refurb at that point. Girl is hell on phones. That $6 a month has saved me probably $1200 in replacement phones over the last 5 years. Not that she abuses them, or intentionally tries to break them. She's just horrible with phones lol!

I bought her a hard case for Christmas, and I still have that extra BSE screen protector if she ever changes her mind. If not, I'll swap mine out in a year for a new one!

I cannot for the life of me understand why people would use a $500 touch screen device every day without some form of protection on it. Especially girls who throw it in their purses with change, keys, and god-knows-what-else in in there. I asked my daughter is she was keeping a chainsaw in her purse after I saw that scratch!

Upvote 0
Well....I'm coming up on three months since I posted this... and I'm still sporting my SF totally naked and free of (frantically searching for wood to knock on...) a scratch or flaw of any kind... no screen protector... nothing... Still love that comment someone made... that the SF can be likened to be as slippery as a watermelon seed... I love that!!

I treat my SF like a baby... I've never dropped a baby to date... so I'm one for one..
Yeah also running my SF naked since launch day, no scratches here either :)

Upvote 0
I've had my SF for just over a month. I too bought the screen protectors from verizon and they don't cover the entire front. Its on there for now, but I did but some on amazon for 0.02 that cover the entire screen and buttons..... Will put that one on soon. So far only 2 drops....no scratches or anything. I have a silicone case on the back as well.

Heather

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones