• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Current Apps on ICS?

jbass350z

Apr 7, 2010
So it seems Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) will be a big jump from Gingerbread. What will happen to all my current apps if I make the jump to ICS? I wasn't planning to jump on it so soon, but I just cracked my Droid Charge.

Will current apps run on ICS? If not, will we be stuck waiting for devs to update their apps ?

Rooting + Ti Backup is a necessity for me also.

So it seems Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) will be a big jump from Gingerbread. What will happen to all my current apps if I make the jump to ICS? I wasn't planning to jump on it so soon, but I just cracked my Droid Charge.

Will current apps run on ICS? If not, will we be stuck waiting for devs to update their apps ?

Rooting + Ti Backup is a necessity for me also.

Hardly anything will run currently, when Gingerbread was first released it took a couple of months before the majority of apps were working/running smoothly. I wouldn't expect all apps to be compatible for another 3 months or so, since only the SDK has been released, and not the actual source code.

Also to answer your question about backup, are you talking about an OTA update? or putting ICS on your Charge by a custom rom?

Because if you are planning on upgrading to ICS through a custom rom, it's possible that you could backup with Titanium, and restore them. But I'm not quite sure how many of them would still work. Since it's such a large update, I would expect that if you updated OTA, it would require a full wipe. But I can't say for sure since it hasn't been released yet.

edit: just realized you said that you cracked your Charge, does this mean you are planning on buying the Galaxy Nexus once it's released? If so root is typically achieved within the first day on Nexus devices. So it might be possible to backup with Titanium, save your backup folder to your computer, put it on the new device, and restore the backup. I'm still extremely doubtful this would work though, I have never tried switching app/data backups from one device to another.

Upvote 0
Hardly anything will run currently, when Gingerbread was first released it took a couple of months before the majority of apps were working/running smoothly. I wouldn't expect all apps to be compatible for another 3 months or so, since only the SDK has been released, and not the actual source code.

Also to answer your question about backup, are you talking about an OTA update? or putting ICS on your Charge by a custom rom?

Because if you are planning on upgrading to ICS through a custom rom, it's possible that you could backup with Titanium, and restore them. But I'm not quite sure how many of them would still work. Since it's such a large update, I would expect that if you updated OTA, it would require a full wipe. But I can't say for sure since it hasn't been released yet.

I am talking about getting a replacement phone, and since the Nexus is just around the corner I may get that. I just want to understand the impact if I do. Sure I will have the latest Android OS, but that wont do me much good if none of the Apps work on it for awhile.

Upvote 0
I am talking about getting a replacement phone, and since the Nexus is just around the corner I may get that. I just want to understand the impact if I do. Sure I will have the latest Android OS, but that wont do me much good if none of the Apps work on it for awhile.

It all comes down to how quick the developers are. Some apps are updated on the first day it's released, others take weeks or months to update.

Upvote 0
I don't entirely agree with you. When my phone was updated from Eclair to Froyo, I had no problems with the vast majority of my apps. Some of the apps were buggy as the devs hadn't updated them yet, but the vast majority of them worked with no problems. The ones that were buggy still worked they just had little weird bizarre hiccups that went away as devs updated their apps. For the most part everything I used every day either worked with no problems or had minor problems that could be worked around.

Upvote 0
I don't entirely agree with you. When my phone was updated from Eclair to Froyo, I had no problems with the vast majority of my apps. Some of the apps were buggy as the devs hadn't updated them yet, but the vast majority of them worked with no problems. The ones that were buggy still worked they just had little weird bizarre hiccups that went away as devs updated their apps. For the most part everything I used every day either worked with no problems or had minor problems that could be worked around.

It all depends what device you have when the update is released. Some phones don't get updates until it has been several months since the device was released. With my Nexus S, I bought it right after it came out. It was the only phone with Gingerbread for at least a month, and I had so many apps that weren't even usable, and would force close on opening. Most apps were updated within the first month, but there were quite a few that I had to stop using, or find an alternative because they wouldn't work at all.

Upvote 0
edit: just realized you said that you cracked your Charge, does this mean you are planning on buying the Galaxy Nexus once it's released? If so root is typically achieved within the first day on Nexus devices. So it might be possible to backup with Titanium, save your backup folder to your computer, put it on the new device, and restore the backup. I'm still extremely doubtful this would work though, I have never tried switching app/data backups from one device to another.

This does, in fact, work. I transferred some apps from my Droid X to my Evo 3D via Titanium. Except that I transferred them via SD card by putting the card that came with my 3D into my DX, backed up with TB, then put the SD card back into my Evo 3D and ran restore.

Just don't restore system details and such. Even wifi / bluetooth pairings. That might cause problems. User apps + data only.

Reactions: B2L
Upvote 0
This does, in fact, work. I transferred some apps from my Droid X to my Evo 3D via Titanium. Except that I transferred them via SD card by putting the card that came with my 3D into my DX, backed up with TB, then put the SD card back into my Evo 3D and ran restore.

Just don't restore system details and such. Even wifi / bluetooth pairings. That might cause problems. User apps + data only.

Thanks for the info, that's great news.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones